Gnocchi (sp?)

Dr. Nic

Not sure how you spell it but Tesco discount brands have a potato Gnocchi on sale now, which is just 35% carbs! Its situated with the dried pasta and sauces.

We've had it a few times now and its really filling even with a small portion. For those of you who allow a small amount of carbs its worth a try!

Dr. Nic

Its sort of half way between pasta and potato. Little balls of potato which is floured. You just boil it for a couple of minutes and eat it instead of pasta with sauce and mince. Really tasty!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
On a totally subjective basis I find Gnocchi much slower at raising blood sugars than the equivalent amount of pasta, it is a great food, but probably in the cold light of day if you are really low-carbing then you shouldn't really include it.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
definitely NOt for low carbers, but delicious!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How about spinach gnocchi. This one uses 50gm flour + some for rolling a shaping and (according to the recipe) serves 4 I haven't made it I usually use potato and spinach for mine but that would be higher in carbs than this recipe.
500 gm spinach
225 gm ricotta
50 gm flour
1 egg
60 gm parmesan
Salt pepper, freshly ground nutmeg
Clean spinach and cut away thicker stalks.
Cook spinach, cool rapidly with cold/iced water, drain very well. chop
Put in food processor and blend with ricotta
Mix egg and flour
Add to spinach with parmesan and mix well
Season with salt pepper and nutmeg
Rest for at least an hour
On floured surface, (greaseproof paper helps keep surface clean. Knead, shape into 5cm sausages.
In batches, drop into boiling water and cook until they float
Serve with a tomato sauce or just a little oil and some more parmesan.

Trinkwasser

I amazed myself today, took an aunt out for her birthday lunch and blew out on a lassagne.

I had a brisk walk around the village immediately after eating, one of my little tricks for dealing with unwelcome quantities of starch, and was gobsmacked to find I topped out at 6

I suspect masses of meat and cheese slowed down the carbs, worth trying with gnocchi as well as other pastas. Always worth testing over a few hours in case you get a late rise though - "pizza effect" (I suspect a small glass of 10 year old Laphroaig may just have helped a bit with that)

zanc

Try Ricotta gnocchi with sage butter. A lot less flour and no potato. Could possibly replace the wheat flour with oat or soya flour. There are many recipes for this gnocchi, just do a quick google search. The sage butter is sage leaves fried in butter until they turn crisp. Be very careful because the butter can burn - reduce chances of burning by skimming of the way.

Being from italian decent I do miss my pasta and especially potato gnocchi, the recipes of which I learnt from my 'mama'. The Ricotta version is also excellent, although a bit more expensive to prepare.