Going abroad for the first time!

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
In February I am going abroad for the first time (I'm 19 and people struggle to believe that, but its true!)
I am type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice, I know I've got to take plenty of supplies, and I understand I need to get a letter from my GP regarding my condition. I also remember vaguely that the pump is not able to go through the security scanners, but apart from that is there anything else that I need to do? I'm looking forward to going but I'm really, really nervous about everything surrounding my diabetes and getting through the airport etc.
Many thanks in advance for any advice!
Chloe Pugh

Reactions: Freema

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not on a pump, but if I was I'd probably want insulin pens as back up, and if you're going somewhere hot is there a 'Frio' cooler available for your pump?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You may be able to get a spare pump to take with you if you contact your pump supplier with about 6 weeks notice.
Good luck! I don't travel abroad anymore because I find it too stressful with airport security. Pump must NOT go through X-ray or full body scanner.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Within eight weeks of diagnosis in september I had gone through Heathrow, Singapore, Melbourne, Phoenix and Los Angeles airports on seven different flights with needles not pump but still.

I wasn't that scared because these are reasonably well organised places and we know they are required to allow it.

If it had been somewhere dodgy I would have been less enthusiastic.

Also I am a total noob as you can tell and I do not know what I am doing, so if I can do it, you can do it.

Reactions: porl69

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my 5 years as a T1 I've travelled extensively personally, and for work. I just put my insulin pens in the liquids and gels bag, never had any hassle.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Extra supplies, Doctors note. Most airports don't actually ask for the note as they are well aware what diabetes is. Make sure to put all your supplies in a plastic bag in your hand luggage just in case your main luggage doesn't make it to your destination, highly unlikely but at least if it does happen you are prepared and have your medication on you. You can't go through the x-ray scanners but you can go through the metal ones (the ones you go through after you put your bags etc in the trays to be scanned) because your pump is metal it will set off the scanner regardless so be prepared to be frisked and sometimes they will also swab the pump for explosives. I always put my supplies through separate in the scanners because it's liquid and needles they like to have a clear view of it, saves you and the staff the hassle of having to put it through again on its own.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not on a pump myself (as yet) but have heard a few pump users say that they have a pump holiday and use MDI for the time they are on holiday.
Hope you have a great holiday by the way :D