Going back into Powerlifting (again!!!)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @johnpol after all the effort in training go for it......BUT watch those injuries my friend and good luck

Reactions: zauberflote

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @johnpol after all the effort in training go for it......BUT watch those injuries my friend and good luck
I am going to still do the Championships but have to rain back all my lifts, after everything that I have been through the last four years health wise I'm not going to give up, it has been the most difficult thing I've done and what with the worry of my hips deciding they have had enough just adds to it. I wouldn't mind I have the European Championships four weeks after the British!!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Very much coordinated: finger wiggling and breathing and facial/oral muscle contortions.
Then a walk, much needed. Short because after concert, but better than nuttin'. 1.16 miles not slow but not excitingly fast either.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Deadlifts last night, and again sub 200kg felt light but above 200kg and its glued to the floor and is a fight to pull it, seems like I'm going backwards quickly! Not what I need 3 weeks out.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Deleted posted in wrong thread so sorry!

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whoops sorry @johnpol that post above went in the wrong place!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Squats on Friday, managed to get a session in with "The Morning Crew" all competitive power lifters, with world Champions and British Champions in the mix. Worked up to a top single of 180kg and called it there. There was definitely more in the tank, but with the way my hip is it was decided as a collective to stop there. It was brilliant to receive all the encouragement from these people especially as I train on my own. So lets see what the next two training weeks brings.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Deadlifts last night but as have managed to break my little toe, I really struggled to pull 180kg 2x2 it felt like they were glued to the floor!! Really thought I had turned a corner and could think about posting a 560kg plus total at the British, one step forwards and a big stumble backwards!! Ah well just got to keep going.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Deadlifts last night but as have managed to break my little toe, I really struggled to pull 180kg 2x2 it felt like they were glued to the floor!! Really thought I had turned a corner and could think about posting a 560kg plus total at the British, one step forwards and a big stumble backwards!! Ah well just got to keep going.

Golly now with the baby toe? Grin and bear it, eh?

Reactions: johnpol

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
squats on Friday and even with a broken toe and a torn hip flexor I worked up to a 170kg squat to depth. one training week left until comp day and have all my openers in the bag now. Not as big a opening total as I wanted but given the circumstances I will take it.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's great to have your openers all set. Congrats!!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Deadlifts last night and did 190kg for a couple that is my last "heavy" session in, its nearly my opener at the deadlift and I have only three more training sessions left before the British Championships so hopefully I don't do anything too daft!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The very best of luck to you for the British Championships

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The very best of luck to you for the British Championships
Thank you, am beginning to get very nervous now 10 days and counting, but hopefully I don't go and do anything too daft before hand (Like break another toe)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bench press on Wednesday and it was horrible 125kg for 2 and it was so laboured it wasn't funny. On top of a torn hip flexor, broken toe I've now got cellulitis on my nose and cheeks. It's so painful and debilitating it's not funny. I've had enough of being diabetic and getting poorly now I just want to be able to compete next Friday, at this rate its going to be a disaster

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well last session of prep done on Monday, just Deadlift and bench, 160kg and 90kg for a few sets, but I missed my last squat session due to having cellulitis on my face, and well lets just say I haven't been well at all and thought I wouldn't make my competition at all. So that's it, all done not what I was expecting, what with the injuries and illness to contend with, but I fully intend to enjoy my first ever British Championships, what ever happens, I feel that I was ready just before I tore the hip flexor and was going to put up a big (for me) total, but that wasn't to be, so after all that's happened just means that I will enjoy the day and the atmosphere of a three platform stage and encourage everyone to lift better than they have ever done before, knowing that I can (and will) do better next year and look to chase the best lifters. I will let you know how things go after Friday (both the good and the bad). Thank you for reading and supporting me.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well... yesterday I posted a good luck wish, but the etherwebs ate it! So, I hope you are relaxing with friends and peers now, satisfied with the tremendous stick-to-it-iveness that you've shown.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well it didn't go as planned on Friday. I re-tore my hip in the warmup and really shouldn't have attempted to Squat, but as I was there anyway. Missed all three attempts at 165kg and that was it. But I was asked to compete in the bench press and deadlift only, and won 2 gold medals in that instead. Wasn't the outcome I wanted but it was also the risk I was running competing with the injury. Thanks to everyone for the support it means a lot to me

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@johnpol I know you're probably in alot of pain in your hip and possibly otherwise, but I gotta say, those gold medals mean a great deal to me! Saying I'm very impressed sounds dumb, but I am. The only activities I have ever attacked with the determination you've had here involve my family and my kids. Everything else has taken back seat. So I admire every single thing you've done here because it's extra to your regular life.
Pardon my rambling.....