Going blind - will I lose my pump?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I only have sight in one eye. That eye has had all the laser it can for retinopathy and has been stable for a long time. I got my pump about 8 years ago and my control is amazing. My latest eye check has shown cataracts in my seeing eye, which explains some of the issues I've been having. I have just got new glasses but I now no longer meeting the reading standard for driving. The problem is at some point I will need cataracts surgery to stop going blind. Due to my eye having had so much laser and ocular hypertension the operation is very risky. Having it may lose me my sight too. I am petrified. Now it may be that my sight stays stable for some years or it may happen faster. What happens with my pump? Will they make me go back to mdi?

If anyone with risky sight has had the op and not lost the sight I'd be grateful to hear too.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Are you already on the ABP forum? My dad was and finds/found it very helpful. He has had no sight for years (also he is not diabetic). I am rather vague as to the who but a quick google bought up this https://www.visionuk.org.uk/action-...ed-for-people-with-sight-loss-across-england/
which might get you through to something although I am sure your existing network will have a better link. Any problems in finding them or getting the info you need PM me and I will ask dad. He is just out of hospital and has the lurgy at the moment so I will not call him now. The operations now are very good so keep positive.

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although not diabetic, my husband has had both eyes treated for cataracts and reported how much the treatment was done, and also how much care was taken to ensure the best result. People were checked and checked again if there was any doubt about going ahead, and there was a lot of consultation about the type of lens to be used - it does seem to be something which is done well, and for quite a number of people.
I realize that his case was far more straightforward than your situation, but it does seem to be a very well done operation.

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MushyPeaBrain I've been on a course recently with a chap who had non-diabetic vision impairment (I think he was registered blind before the type 1 came along) and he was on a pump and manged very well with it. So there is certainly no prohibition on people with impaired vision using pumps. He mentioned to another lady on the course who was experiencing vision deterioration that he had received support from RNIB so this page might be worth a look - http://www.rnib.org.uk/eye-health/y...d-eye-conditions/managing-diabetes-sight-loss

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your suggestions and they are things I will start looking into. Obviously I really hope that they don't refuse to operate further down the line and that surgery when needed goes well. I am a parent to two young children so I am trying to keep my sight for them as much as anything. Diabetes is cruel sometimes.

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I only have sight in one eye. That eye has had all the laser it can for retinopathy and has been stable for a long time. I got my pump about 8 years ago and my control is amazing. My latest eye check has shown cataracts in my seeing eye, which explains some of the issues I've been having. I have just got new glasses but I now no longer meeting the reading standard for driving. The problem is at some point I will need cataracts surgery to stop going blind. Due to my eye having had so much laser and ocular hypertension the operation is very risky. Having it may lose me my sight too. I am petrified. Now it may be that my sight stays stable for some years or it may happen faster. What happens with my pump? Will they make me go back to mdi?

If anyone with risky sight has had the op and not lost the sight I'd be grateful to hear too.

Hello mush, the cataract op is usually a day surgery thing but with me due to issues with anaesthetic it meant I had to get family member to come and get me. I went to hospital myself. The op was done under a local and I was quickly finished. Any invasive surgery is potentially risky. Once the cataract is removed your vision changes and you may need new specs, but it settles down quickly and your back to where you were, so get it done and out the road, I wish you all the best, cheers bud

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Hi Mushy,
You raise a really good point, I bet the pump manufacturers have never thought of. There is no reason why they can't put a voice behind the screen information. Have a chat to your favourite company as there will be a market. Even if the audio is for basic navigation and bolusing. They are always looking to be one better than each other. The Medtronic 670 maybe another solution however I would imagine you would still want to be able to override it.

Good luck and hopefully surgery will be an amazing success.