Going hyper before bed - why?!

Hannushka

Hi all,

Just wondering if I can ask if others have encountered this as well - I’m currently 19 weeks pregnant and generally eating pretty well. Taking mealtime and overnight insulin (T2 so low dose so far - generally 4-8 units for meals depending on what I’m having, and 6 units overnight).

The last few nights I’ve noticed my glucose going hyper at around midnight every evening - many hours after I’ve eaten my evening meal. It’s stressing me out because I don’t like going to sleep not knowing what direction it’s headed in and worrying about exposing the baby to excess glucose overnight. Is there anything anyone can recommend to counteract this? I know from 18 weeks onwards my IR is meant to increase and controlling glucose will become more difficult but I’ve been spoiled by it being so well controlled thus far and the anxiety/worry about the baby is getting to me.
Obviously going to contact the diabetes team at the hospital but not sure if I’ll get a response over the weekend so wanted to get an idea of others’ experiences.

Thanks so much!

Reactions: Hayley78

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chewing (specifically the beings that I birthed)
Hi all,

Just wondering if I can ask if others have encountered this as well - I’m currently 19 weeks pregnant and generally eating pretty well. Taking mealtime and overnight insulin (T2 so low dose so far - generally 4-8 units for meals depending on what I’m having, and 6 units overnight).

The last few nights I’ve noticed my glucose going hyper at around midnight every evening - many hours after I’ve eaten my evening meal. It’s stressing me out because I don’t like going to sleep not knowing what direction it’s headed in and worrying about exposing the baby to excess glucose overnight. Is there anything anyone can recommend to counteract this? I know from 18 weeks onwards my IR is meant to increase and controlling glucose will become more difficult but I’ve been spoiled by it being so well controlled thus far and the anxiety/worry about the baby is getting to me.
Obviously going to contact the diabetes team at the hospital but not sure if I’ll get a response over the weekend so wanted to get an idea of others’ experiences.

Thanks so much!
Hi Hannushka,

I thought I was going to give you some useful info, but I ready your post wrong! the only way you can change this is by speaking with the diabetic team and them adjusting your insulin. I know during pregnancy you do have 'spurts'.

During my 4 pregnancies I noticed I had to increase my dosages 3 months in and then again at 6 months. then what I can remember my sugars decreased 2 weeks before giving birth (not the same for everyone).

don't worry about the affects of the baby's growth. as it isn't happening often, and if your sugars are coming down during the day, you are not at a consistent high. your team may adjust your insulin for you, and you'll be back on track. its only a few days, not all the way through pregnancy, try not to worry, as that could cause more distress for the baby.

PS, all 4 of my babies were healthy born, and yes my sugars did climb during pregnancies.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Your blood sugars rising overnight is likely to be a dosing issue. You need to ask your consultant about checking your basal insulin, in the first instance.

If your basal is correct I find eating protein at night, rather than carbs on their own helpful, also, as it makes it easier to dose for.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When do you take your "overnight" insulin?
It could be running out or have a peak/trough in its profile.
Google "profile of ..." for the name of your overnight insulin (maybe Lantus?). Ideally it will be a flat line but they are not quite flat.