going into hospital

Fitzy6343

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi i will be going into hospital for keyhole surgery in my shoulder soon , what happens to my insulin pump during the operation , do i disconnect it ?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi i will be going into hospital for keyhole surgery in my shoulder soon , what happens to my insulin pump during the operation , do i disconnect it ?

Hi Fitzy, I've had similar (an arthroscopic decompression) on my shoulder and and also both hips replaced too, you just leave your pump connected. They will test your BG's during surgery, in my case they were not interested in my CGM only their manual BG tests and left my CGM receiver in my room.

They will probably ask you to turn down your basal by around 50%, that's what I have always done from an hour or two before until post surgery.

For my hips (done in last 11 wks) I have to double my basal for few days post op.

Hope it goes well.

Oh something new I learnt, Ibruprofen delays bone healing so should not be taken post major bone surgery, I had a few issues with Paracetamol and asked to change but in the end decided to live with it.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Fitzy, I've had similar (an arthroscopic decompression) on my shoulder and and also both hips replaced too, you just leave your pump connected. They will test your BG's during surgery, in my case they were not interested in my CGM only their manual BG tests and left my CGM receiver in my room.

They will probably ask you to turn down your basal by around 50%, that's what I have always done from an hour or two before until post surgery.

For my hips (done in last 11 wks) I have to double my basal for few days post op.

Hope it goes well.

Oh something new I learnt, Ibruprofen delays bone healing so should not be taken post major bone surgery, I had a few issues with Paracetamol and asked to change but in the end decided to live with it.

I was just going to ask the same question and found this old thread @Chas C I had an arthroscopic decompression a few years ago on my right shoulder when I was on MDI. I'm booked to have it on my left shoulder in two weeks. Since I am new to the pump I wasn't looking forward to perhaps having to remove it. You have set my mind at rest!
Thank you

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had surgery for a broken arm, I left my pump on. The only thing that has occurred to me, should they X-ray during surgery.

Reactions: Picci