1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Going off eating?!

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by miffli, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sure thing, but don't forget it's not necessarily all about calorie intake. People who are eating low-carb, and have sufficiently low circulating insulin, will almost certainly be in some level of dietary ketosis. This means that they will be pulling any shortfall in energy from their stored body fat (hence no hunger). That is, after all, why it's there. If someone is hungry then of course they should eat, but if they're not, then their body has sufficient fuel and nutrients currently available. Hunger should be the driver of what we eat and when we eat it, not numbers, macros and charts.

But yes it goes without saying that we all have a way of eating where we feel our best and perform optimally. I'm not prescribing anything one way or the other, but I don't think it's true that low carb will necessarily cause any metabolism issues, which was the original point I addressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #21 Jim Lahey, Jan 24, 2020 at 5:05 PM
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So how do you identify the low carb as the cause not the low calorie?
    When you increased your carbs slightly did you also increase your calories? If so same question as above

obviously the changes worked for you and it’s certainly worth considering but I’d say from the info you’ve posted it’s insufficient to draw the conclusions you have.

3. Hertfordshiremum

Hertfordshiremum · Well-Known Member

They are not my conclusions, the endocrinologist was insistent. I can only tell you what I was told and reference the book that also talks about this.

4. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree with Jim Lahey (above), As shown in my 'Email to a Friend' thread I suggest that the process of losing weight for a T2D is just a by-product of getting the BG under control using LCHF. And that the total calorie intake shouldn't be reduced until the body has become Fat Adapted.
    Once Fat Adapted a person can reduce total Calorie intake by cutting portions or by various Fasting regimes and not feel hungry! Thus the Calorie deficit from eating is made up by using the prior stored body fat (even on slim people like Jim and me) and so the Base Metabolic Rate is protected.

It infuriates me that people are still currently bombarded by media promoting 'crash diets' , the latest example was last night on ITV where they took sound dietary fasting principles (16:8 and 5:2) and then grafted on Calorie restrictions making them unsustainable!
    Although both subjects lost weight much faster than I did, I was starting form a 'normal weight' (only ever overweight by 2 lbs) and they were obese, what are the odds of them managing to hold on to even my weight loss (23lbs over 4 months) in 1year's time? - Fairly remote based on the evidence!
    Please note that I'm just eating to sustain my weight now so I'm no longer in 'weight-loss' mode since reaching a pre-diabetic Hba1C. The next one should be lower still as my liver gets used to my 'new normal' BG levels and reduces its morning Glucose dumps.

5. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh, and (all) doctors know what they are talking about - yes?
    In which case we would nearly all still be on that crazy 'healthy heart' HCLF way of eating that caused my T2D !
    Sorry, but we know better than that in here - don't we?

• Like Like x 2
  6. miffli

miffli Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't think any carbs are welcome personally, well for me anyhow, something can't be right, i have just managed to get some test strips as have been without since last Wednesday- pharmacy error, I had no breakfast today as felt ill when i got up, i have been packing some things up so have been busy and very active and had brunch an hour or so ago- bacon some white onion, two mushrooms and eggs and i'm on 19.8, thing is i am literally scared to eat carbs. i feel so awful i'm going back to bed. sorry. bye Tuesday :|

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook