Going to Italy Help please

sandyd

Going on holiday to Italy soon and wondered what I can eat there? Is pasta really very bad. Will avoid ice creams etc. But need a bit of help here. I have TYPE 2 taking Mets and (usually) watching diets things.

Unbeliever

Have you beeen to Italy before Sandyd? I certainly wouldnt claim to be an expert but I have been there a few times and found that there is far less pasta on offer in the retaurants than there is in Italian restaurants here.
In certain parts of Italy the pasta is offered as a separate course - and then vegetables meat etc for the next course so its easy to avoid. Each region has its own native dishes too. not many based on pasta.,
It is such a popular tourist destination too that you will often find a much wider variety of food on offer than just Italian cuisine.

If you stay anywhere near the sea you will find a huge variety of fish and sea food dishes
Althiugh I dont normally eat rice apart from a little basmati on occasion I find that risotto does not raise my levels at all.

I really shouldn't worry. You may find it easier than at home.

Have fun! :D

Grazer

Yeah, fish, Seafood, meat, salads. Just watch the pizza! And I find a little pasts ok providing I hVe a nice glass of chianti with it to slow down the spike! Enjoy

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
It depends where you go...

I spent a week in Bologna earlier this year and it was a struggle to find anything that wasn't served with pasta. If you can avoid gelato in Italy, then you're a better man than me.

You'll just have to try your best and, like Grazer says, mitigate the effects with some alcohol. If you're on holiday, the odd slip up here and there isn't going to do you any harm. I love Italy.

Have a great time. Don't buy too many Euros...

Stephen

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sandyd, like you I was diagnosed type 2 earlier this year. We went to Italy in July and I was worried that I would have problems food wise. Not so, we had a brilliant time. I did eat a bit of pasta and a pizza and tested after, because we were exploring it did't seem to effect me. I also had a couple of ice creams every day and tested. I must have walked them off too! :D Test if you are worried, but you may find the extra exerciser burns things off.

Don't forget it's a HOLIDAY, if you do 'slip' then get back on the wagon when you return, it will do you good to relax and enjoy yourself!

Ann

zibi1

I'm Italian and pasta isn't bad at all. If you have 100g pasta that's about 70g carbs. The good thing is that the absorption profile of pasta is very smooth, so as long as you give yourself the right amount of insulin it's not a problem. Avoid pizza if possible..

Grazer

zibi1 said:
so as long as you give yourself the right amount of insulin it's not a problem

Understand, but he's a type 2 and not on insulin.

Ann19 said:
I did eat a bit of pasta and a pizza and tested after, because we were exploring it did't seem to effect me. I also had a couple of ice creams every day and tested. I must have walked them off too!
Maybe, or being on holiday did you participate in the chianti with your meal as well? My money's on that helping as well as the walking - at least I like to think so! :lol:

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ann19 wrote: I did eat a bit of pasta and a pizza and tested after, because we were exploring it didn't seem to effect me. I also had a couple of ice creams every day and tested. I must have walked them off too!

Maybe, or being on holiday did you participate in the chianti with your meal as well? My money's on that helping as well as the walking - at least I like to think so! :lol:

I drank water in the daytime, wine in the evening. Maybe if I'd had wine at lunch then I might have managed another ice cream :lol:

Note to self........ will have to go back and try :wink: