Good bedtime snacks

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that because I take my lantus (basal) at 9pm I should aim to be ~8mmol before going to sleep, and regularly I'm finding myself in the 5's or 6's before bed so am having to have a small snack. However, I've also been very gradually putting on weight recently so I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for low calorie snacks I can eat to get the 10-15g of carb I usually need before bed? Thanks!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Becky,

Just out of interest - what are your waking levels like ?

Personally I go to bed at anything above 5.5 mmol/l and above, anything under then a biscuit before bed, I wouldn't be snacking at levels of 8 mmol/l. To be honest you can't eat less carbs than 10-15g for increasing your BG levels, you have to ignore the calorie content of food as a diabetic we gauge everything with the carb content of food so you can't eat anything of a lesser value if you intend to increase your BG levels.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I consistently wake up around 6.5mmol. This has VERY gradually increased over the last 6 months, though I've been told not to up my lantus as that's too risky in terms of night time hypos apparently, since I'm not waking up at a bad value. If I'm over 7mmol I don't eat anything. I was just interested as at the moment I'm terrible for having a bit of chocolate before bed if I need to raise my levels, which isn't exactly a healthy choice!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Becky - DAFNE guidelines say that your night time and waking BG levels should be about the same, that's why i'm inclined to suggest that your target for going to bed should be lower. However if you're above 8 mmol/l, eating a snack and then waking at 6.5mmol/l this is suggesting your overnight basal rate is slightly too much - can you call your DSN and explain this, as I cannot advise you on adjusting your levels.

You're allowed chocolate lovely if you fancy some, how about dark chocolate 70% cocoa ?

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do have some 70% at the moment actually, I'm trying to use it to wean myself off of milk chocolate!
I have a review in a few weeks so I'll discuss it with them then I think. As it stands I only take 5u Lantus anyway, I think I still produce a lot of my own when I'm fasting so it's a bit of a minefield knowing what to do :(

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Becky,
My suggestion would be a snack which contains both carbohydrates and protein.
The reason is that a carbohydrate only snack, like a digestive biscuit, lasts only for about an hour or so and then your blood glucose will start to drop again.
Here is an example from my own readings 2 days ago:
24:00: 7.2 (15 grams carbs – 2 small biscuits)
01:00: 6.4 (10 grams carbs – 1 digestive biscuit)
02:00: 7.7
03:00: 8.7
05:30: 6.9
06:30: 6.4

So, a carbs only snack doesn’t help, I think.
However, a combination of carbs and protein and fat will raise your glucose and keep it raised for a few hours before the drop.
Such healthy snacks can be:

A Greek yogurt like the Total Fage 0% fat which is about 8 grams of carbs, you can add a small biscuit for added carbs if you need to raise your carbs intake or a handful (30 grams) of nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds) as their fat content will keep your level steady for longer.

A slice of rye bread (which is a slow release carbohydrate due to its low glycemic load) and 30 grams of edam cheese (the protein and the fat in the cheese will sustain your level)

Alternatively, a slice of bread with a little butter or peanutbutter (again a combination of carbs/fat and protein).

A glass of milk and biscuit or a slice of ryvita.

Hope this helps a little.
Regards
Josephine

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like a scoop of peanut or almond butter on celery. I don't need anymore cabs than what comes in the nut butters. You could top a piece of chocolate with it too. Best of both worlds.
The nut butters keep me steady with the fat and protein.

Reactions: 2 people