Good Guys

ally5555

Cugila

We certainly do need a site to report pts - last wed I was threatened and pushed by a pt - and the reason i had kept him waiting for 30 mins. I then refused to see him. He hadnt pressed the right buttons and hadnt logged himself in so on my screen said no patients. I went for a quick cuppa - hadnt had one all day and was really thirsty. There are some really awful pts - and all of us have had verbal abuse - been called some luvly names for no reason and the panic buttons we have in all rooms often go off.

So I reckon all of us who work in the nhs would have a list we would put on a site - but that wouldnt be very ethical so we prob wouldnt do it.

But today I have seen some fab people and lots of luvly hba results too so I am happy.

sandymaynard

Hi ally,
I must admit i have never been nasty to a health worker a syou all have jobs to do! it is not your fault if patients are late etc! being i cant see the computer screen at our doctors to self log in!
The reception staff very kindly do that for me! I will openly admit my last doctor didnot want to look into diabetes as he said i was fat and that was my problem!
My new gp she is wonderful! The nurses i have met since being diagonised as diabettic are the best ones yet!
I have seen a dietician and she is lovely! She has told me herself that what works for one does not mean it will work for another!
There has only been one time i raised my voice with a doctor, i never got angry or anything!
But because i am on warfarin i was bleeding from nose mouth, it was pouring out! The doctor said what is wrong! I said i am bleeding, he said can you explain why?
i answered i am warfarin i need vitamin k urgent please!
I never got nasty but i did raise my voice as i was disstressed! I always say if you should you never get any where, sit down and have a conversation and see how much better that works and a polite word goes alot further than using foul words!
I always say that doctors nurses health care people have a job to do! I would not like to be used foul words at! I respect people how i would like to be treated!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ally.
You said:
So I reckon all of us who work in the nhs would have a list we would put on a site - but that wouldnt be very ethical so we prob wouldnt do it.

But today I have seen some fab people and lots of luvly hba results too so I am happy.ally5555

Ally.
My comment was about people who complain to their GP's or HCP's.

It was not referring to violent, abusive and threatening behaviour by patients !
As you well know, I would never condone any behaviour of that sort. You took action against this individual mentioned and refused to see him - good for you.
I would back you 100%. I hope you also considered a total ban on this individual ?

In instances such as you mention I would also accept a listing of these low-life with access to the list for all HCP's. Name and Shame them. Not a problem.
Bit like the system which exists in the background at the moment - HCP's can get info from previous HCP's about Patients, but of course that is not common knowledge ?

In any job involving interaction with members of the Public, I know you can go from the sublime to the ridiculous. The low to the high. Today you saw some great people and had great results. They more than outweigh (no pun) the other extremes you sometimes get. I am glad you are happy, long may it continue.

Ken. :D

ally5555

sandy - the vast majority of pts are great and I see alot of mine out and about and we stop and chat. Caught one of them about to put a big bag of jelly babies in asda the other day - she was horrified to see me - then had a good look in my trolley!

However I think most of us have been shouted at for taking too long with the pt before and making them wait. A couple of months ago a pt was shouting abuse at me and the reception staff so we had to call the police. I can recall 2 men getting drunk in the waiting room and had one of the docs pinned again a wall.

Actually we have planned rooms so we can get out but all have panic buttons. I was realy freaked out a few years ago when I realised a pt I had seen had been arrested for a serious rape a few days after I saw him!

99.99% are fine but we know that. TBH its the fronline staff in a nd e I really feel for they have a terrible time.

Ken I know it can sometimes also be difficult to complain but putting details on a website is a disgrace. Do you know any other professions where this happens and you also have to bear in mind it may be untrue. I hear pts ranting sometimes when they have seen a gp because they wont give antiobiotics etc - that might have been the right treatment !! But these days the pt knows better or do they? Perhaps they think they do .

sandymaynard

Hi Ally
I can understand where you are coming from! I used to be a mental health nurse before i started losing my eyesight! I enjoyed my job! I didnot fear the paitents it was the family memebers that i feared more!
The thing is there are always that 1% who just have to get argresive or be nasty i wish this wasnot the case! I understand that sometimes a doctor or nurse needs more time with one patient than another! At times there are the patients that get drunk!
I don't think that anyone should ever be pinned to a wall, let alone a doctor! Yes i know everybody knows of the doctor's that are in the news i,e shipman, the nurse allet!
But come off it! Most doctors and nurses do a good job! My new gp i would not be without her! She is wonderful and so helpful! The reception staff are wonderful, as they tell me when it is my turn to go to the doctor's! i can't always take someone with me not if it is a private matter!
I must admit i enjoyed working in mental health! I had a boxer dog called Rosie, she would come to work with me! I always had her with me and that calmed most of the patients down!
I know that there are a few doctor's and nurses who are bad! also know that there are patients that take it out on doctors as well! To me that is wrong! The diets don't work for everyone!
Doctors and nurses have a guide line to work under! At my doctor's one of the nurses are setting up a group where if a diet is working for you then you can explain it to other people!
i am glad that your doctors pratice has a panic room! but this should not have to be the case! That is so wrong that a health person should have to fear for their life! I am sorry for you that you have to go through that!