Good Insulin Injection Practices.

C

catherinecherub

Found this article which may be of use for people injecting insulin.
It covers,
.....Injection technique.
.....Site selection and rotation.
.....Proper needle use.
.....Potential risk of needle reuse.
.....Damage to needle.
.....Dose accuracy.
.....Increased formation of lipohypertrophy.

https://www.diabeteshealth.com/good-insulin-injection-practices/

Link has been updated.

Last edited:

sunnyh

Dislikes
feeling like I am not in control...that is my main pet peeve!!
Hello..
and I want to thank you for posting this article. It has a wealth of information, even if you have been injecting for years. It never hurts to find out more. I'm a T2 diabetic, and have been using the pen now for a few years, but I found the information on injecting with a pen to be informative and useful.
I hope every diabetic takes a good look at this, whether you're new to injection therapy, or not.

Best wishes to you all,

SunnyH

Reactions: Famous70

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Nice read bud :) I remember in hospital they wanted me to test it on an orange :lol:

badmedisin

They got my parents to practice on an orange too. Sadly oranges are not terribly responsive to pain, I suppose that's why I don't trust anyone else to inject me! My GP let me do my own MMR injection cos she'd scared me into a panic attack. I'm not sure that's really allowed... :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
badmedisin said:
They got my parents to practice on an orange too. Sadly oranges are not terribly responsive to pain, I suppose that's why I don't trust anyone else to inject me! My GP let me do my own MMR injection cos she'd scared me into a panic attack. I'm not sure that's really allowed... :)

It would appear a orange was standard issue on practising insulin injections, as I was given one too! :D

The trouble was, it sure made the orange taste strange afterwards..................... :(

Nigel

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember being trotted in for that demo.
I thought I was going to have to eat the orange so that I had some carb going into my system to counter the insulin we were about to practice injecting.

They quickly had to explain once they saw the look on my face when they injected the orange. :)

Buuuda

Hi since being diagnosed in 1995 i have been through most of the problems with injection practices, i mean when i found out i had type 1 diabetes i was only 5 and ended up in a 3 month coma due to being misdiagnosed with diabetes. When i first had to have my first ever injections we had to use hypodermic needles which to a 5 year were the scariest thing in the world to be honest, but for having it nearly 17 odd years the technology has developed massively which pens and whatnot. I even remember the best advice my diabetic nurse gave me with injections...'grab some fat but don't pinch' :lol: still makes me laugh today, i even gave that advice to my girlfriend when she gave me an injection, mind you she doesnt like needles and nearly passed out!! :lol:

jonee73

I was use a common insulin and many time use Gateral , dinal , or so many other anti-diabetes tablet.
but the above information is fully helpfull for me and all that diabetic patients,,
but its not enough information,,..make Presentation with full patronage ..........

Napolyon1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dr had me test on myself, all I did was practice setting pen to correct dose a few times then inject myself.

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi since being diagnosed in 1995 i have been through most of the problems with injection practices, i mean when i found out i had type 1 diabetes i was only 5 and ended up in a 3 month coma due to being misdiagnosed with diabetes. When i first had to have my first ever injections we had to use hypodermic needles which to a 5 year were the scariest thing in the world to be honest, but for having it nearly 17 odd years the technology has developed massively which pens and whatnot. I even remember the best advice my diabetic nurse gave me with injections...'grab some fat but don't pinch' :lol: still makes me laugh today, i even gave that advice to my girlfriend when she gave me an injection, mind you she doesnt like needles and nearly passed out!! :lol:

I had a cousin who was 8 when he was diagnosed with T1. Unfortunately he passed away in February of this year from diabetic complications. I miss him dearly.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I had a cousin who was 8 when he was diagnosed with T1. Unfortunately he passed away in February of this year from diabetic complications. I miss him dearly.

So sorry to hear that, understandably you'll miss him.

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to hear that, understandably you'll miss him.

Thank you so very much. My mom and I miss him SO much. There was only 17 months between us (me being the older) and we always hung together no matter what. Him and his father, and my other uncles (mom was the only girl out of 5 kids and the only one living now) took such good care of us after both my father and my stepfather passed away.

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
feel left out about the orange, the doctor and nurse said I couldn't go home until I managed to inject myself. Was so bored out of my skull being in hospital I just took it and jabbed it in my leg, hour later I was home. thanks for the link.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

That is sad news, so sorry to hear of your loss x

PurpleDragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found this article which may be of use for people injecting insulin.
It covers,
.....Injection technique.
.....Site selection and rotation.
.....Proper needle use.
.....Potential risk of needle reuse.
.....Damage to needle.
.....Dose accuracy.
.....Increased formation of lipohypertrophy.

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2009 ... practices/

Hi there, I clicked on the link but the page couldn't be found. Do you think you might find this or something like it as it sounds just like something I need to read.
Thanks catherinecherub