1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Good Insulin Injection Practices.

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by catherinecherub, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Blackers183

Blackers183 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve recently started using the 4mm needles, I bought boxes of 8mm needles years ago and let these run out before swapping to the 4mm which was a DAFNE recommendation. I’m using Lantus and Novorapid reusable cartridge pens. I’ve noticed however that with Novorapid there is always a drop of insulin left on the end of the needle, I count to 10 after the injection so I’m leaving it in long enough and I have not noticed any significant difference in BGL readings.

Anyone else had issues with the 4mm needles?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Blackers183 ,

Are you using a "Clik-Star" pen for Lantus & a Novopen for the bolus?

3. Blackers183

I’m using the new AllStar Pro for Lantus which is a replacement for the Clik-Star, finding it a bit slippery to hold now using the 4mm needles though. I’m using a NovoPen 5 with the memory function.for NovoRapud insulin.

4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi again.. Can I ask if the "allStar pro" has a plastic assembly on the rod & ram which pushes the bung in the cartridge..

I'm going somewhere with this. (Honest.) :)

5. Jenny15

Jenny15 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have the same issue but I asked about it in a thread and was assured that it's normal and not an issue to worry about.

I was concerned that I wasn't getting all of the dose but after observing the needles for a while now, I think it is just additional insulin coming out after I remove the needle.

When you do your 2u test before injecting, you'll see there's always a bubble on the tip afterwards. Shake it away, and another one appears. I think it's to do with the vacuum within the needle itself, which is a good thing because it reduces the risk of air getting in.

I'm very new to injecting so I could be wrong on all this, mind you.

6. Blackers183

The AllStar has a plastic rod and ram however it is the NovoPen that I’ve noticed the small drop of insulin at the end of the needle after injection. The NovoPen has a plastic ram but appears to be a steel rod, it’s a shiny steel colour anyway.

7. 85percent

85percent Type 1.5 · Active Member

The link no longer works - for me...

8. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Probably because this is a thread that was started 10-11 years ago, and even though the link looks to have been updated about 5 years ago, it probably doesn't exist anymore..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ken Chuah

Ken Chuah · Newbie

I am using 4 mm needles too since the beginning. Have not encountered any issue so far.

10. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

1st of September 1980 my introduction into the world of injecting yourself, nurse came to the side of my hospital bed , with a pre filled disposable injection ( have to be thankful for that , was glass and metal syringe when I got home ) said to me pinch your leg and put it in , and hey presto fully trained and signed off.lol .the following day I was shown how to fill the syringe .. ...........oh happy days , .

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook