GOOD OR BAD CONTROL...

K.P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
after Reading a few posts on here i think all us diabetic are haunted by this whole good or bad control thing?!?! yes like all other diabetics i have been told HOW important it is to manage are diabetes well ... but ive never really been given much credit for how hard it is to manage diabetes at all... and i think we only seem to fall under two categories either GOOD or BAD diabetics... i don't think i'm a bad diabetic and i certainly know i'm not a good diabetic.. but i try my hardest and doctors don't realise how much really effects your diabetes on a day to day bases no day is the same in the life of a diabetic.. they only really look at one thing and that is your HBA1C.. i feel like we deserve more credit, also the complications of diabetes can be horrendous and i worry about them wen eva i think about my sugar levels but i turn up to all my hospital appointments and eye screening and try my best to look after my self! am i the only person that thinks there is far more to diabetes then good or bad control... if diabetes were as simple as just being a good or bad diabetic then surely we would all be on the same insulin the same dose and told to eat the same thing... but we're not we are ALL different the docs need to realise this and help us more, our sugar levels might be just numbers we are not we are not just a number or statistic and deserve to live our lives too with out being judged ONLY based on our sugar levels!!! Kim

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Well said Kim - I agree with you totally. It's not just black and white as a lot of other factors come into play that makes managing diabetes really difficult. Our hormones, mental state, energy used, food digestion, illness to name but a few all play a part and can affect blood sugars on a daiy basis. Yes, we all strive very hard to see that Hba1c improve but to say that we're simply 'bad' if it's higher than the target is far too simplistic.

K.P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
glad i'm not the only one who thinks this! I'm on the pump now and within the 1st year you have to meet a target set to everyone by the hospital to keep the pump.. well my blood sugars have improved sooo much but they still aren't hitting the target some days i have really good sugar levels then others i don't.. to be in range my sugar levels have to stay between 5.5- 7 this is such a small target considering before the pump I'd be lucky if my blood sugars were even under 10. my nurse phoned me and said that if i don't get them down... (believe me i'm trying) then they can take the pump back because "its NOT life changing enough"... i don't no how they can say its not changed my life because of one target. when i no my diabetes is the best its ever been in 11 years of having it! this is why the good or bad control makes me so angry because Ive tried my best and because i work in retail i do not have a set routine... unless they want me to give up my job and do nothing but let my diabetes rule my life hmmm

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Again I totally agree KP. The talk of taking it back off you is ridiculous and if anything puts additional pressure on you that you don't need and as you say, in relative terms, to you as an individual its made a huge difference already. Medical staff are meant to be there to help us not threaten us and when they can obviously see things improving as you describe, they should be encouraging you along the way. Some of us will take longer to get there but that's just all part of being a human being!
I could understand it if you weren't using it half the time or just not trying as several people out there want one.