Good surprise after pizza

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7,8 mmol/l after 2 hour of a pizza... it's on the upper limit to the normal range for people without diabetes.
I had to go to eat a pizza and I took a green salad, my evening metformin and a vegegable and buffalo mozzarella toppings.
The bad news I am going to write on tripavisor is that the pizza base wasn't very good, hasn't risen well.

But the good news is that a vegetable pizza now and then isn't a problem Yeah!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of us find that our BGs spike 3, 4, or even 5 hours after pizza. It's the high fat high carb combo that does it. It might be an idea to check at these times just in case this happens to you too.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might like to check your blood sugars after 3 and 4 hours, hate to rain on your parade, but Dr Google will have some answers

Reactions: novorapidboi26

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't had pizza for an long time, but when I have had it and tested, I found the rise wasn't huge, but my numbers were elevated for quite some time - like over 24 hours.

Pizza never really was a big favourite of mine, so it's no hardship just not to bother with it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't even eat the crust and I stay high for a ,omg time. I chalk it up to saturated fat

M

mist

I eat pizza and my levels are never as high afterwards as I expect them to be. It's kinda weird..:p

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I tried fathead pizza for the first time tonight and my levels dropped by 2 mmol and holy cow was it good :D:woot:

Reactions: daisyduck

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This moning I've testest my fasting BG and was 76 mg/dl or 4.3 mmol/l, that is the range I get normally now that I follow the diet for losing weight. Next pizza I'll check 3 hour and four hour to se what happens.
I also think that pizza in Italian and English are false friends :) I mean the rearation of the dough I think it's important and what is on the toing is more on what happens on energy and carb absortion.

By the way finding a good pizzeria isn't easy. a lot of them fail on the basics and serves you a pizza with a charred border and underside, that is a no no both for the flavour and by the fact that charred flour is toxic. Unfortunately for fastr pizza cooking the oven is cleaned rarely and is at a too high temperature: if the pizzaiolo isn' controlling the cooking the pizza comes out dirty and burnt.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have found that my fbgs are relatively low after pizza the night before, around 5.7 rather than 6.3. The pizza I eat has 96 gms of carbs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a 'Pizza Effect' meal last night - which is a rich combo of protein, fat and carbs.

Was absolutely DELIGHTED to see that the meal had produced absolutely NO impact between 7pm and midnight.
Went to bed complacently gleeful, thinking 'sooo, that posh vanilla icecream at 18g carbs /blob is ON the menu' Total carbs from meal were around 45-50 g carbs.

Thank heavens I am wearing a libre.

At 2am my bg rose from 6.2mmol/l to over 10 - and stayed that way for 4 hours.
My Fasting level was absolutely normal.

All I can say is Never Assume that Pizzas are OK unless you have tested at least hourly for the next 12 hours.

Last edited:
A

asparagusp

I eat pizza and my levels are never as high afterwards as I expect them to be. It's kinda weird..:p

I like people who are out the norm! I'm glad to see you back mist!

I thought I saw mist ..... lol

M

mist

I like people who are out the norm! I'm glad to see you back mist!

I thought I saw mist ..... lol

Well I'm certainly not normal, we should go out for dinner! :D

Just don't poke fun at my googly eye..:***:

Last edited by a moderator:

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried fathead pizza for the first time tonight and my levels dropped by 2 mmol and holy cow was it good :D:woot:

Fathead pizza , that's the next thing on my list to try.. what did you have on yours ?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had just black forest ham and cheese and I found a good pizza sauce with no added sugar at all. The dough , which I added italian spice to, was like a thin crust pizza without being too hard. I ate most of a mediumish (yep thats a word now :p) pizza split over two meals. I am stuffed to the gills and my blood sugars have gone from 7.1 to 5.2 and stayed there. Just in case anyone is wondering, the dough is made from mozzarella cheese, almond flour, cream cheese, and eggs. My family tasted it and said if they had been served it in a restaurant as a normal pizza they would not have questioned it at all. It was that good and probably less than 10 gram carb.

Reactions: daisyduck
M

mist

This fathead pizza is news to me. I'm reading all about it and I am definitely experiencing high levels of intrigue..:D

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank heavens I am wearing a libre.

At 2am my bg rose from 6.2mmol/l to over 10 - and stayed that way for 4 hours.
My Fasting level was absolutely normal.

All I can say is Never Assume that Pizzas are OK unless you have tested at least hourly for the next 12 hours.
Now for one that doesn't have a Libre, has to pay for glucose meter and strips it's a bit scary thing.
Now, i have glicosurie and ketones urime strips, maybe an urine test to see if things are going to skyrocket.

Because, you know, to be on the safe side it means a thing : do not eat pizza, do not eat outside home and decline invites to eat outside.

That geneteates rapidly a dangerous "what the hell" - that is not a good thing.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Right, I've made the fathead pizza base. It's now waiting for the topping tonight. I've assumed it's OK to precook the base and then assemble later. I'll add a pic of the finished pizza then.

Oh boy , that is so filling, half each for hubby and me and neither of us could finish it all.

Attachments

• fathead pizza.jpg
    fathead pizza.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 260
  • pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well I'm certainly not normal, we should go out for dinner! :D

Just don't poke fun at my googly eye..:***:
I thought you said it wasn't a googly eye! :meh:

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I might be the only person in the world without a microwave, never wanted to zap my food - anyone made a fathead pizza with melting the base in the microwave? Would on top of a saucepan of water work?

Reactions: Freema