Gooseberries and rhubarb

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going strawberry picking tomorrow and they also have gooseberries (it does have berry in the name) and rhubarb (which is a veg) so are these ok? Obviously without sugar!!

I can’t find carb amounts for them anywhere

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Our gooseberries aren’t quite ripe yet. So need cooking for consumption.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I love rhubarb, and make a low carb rhubarb crumble with ground almonds and a little butter - served with real egg custard.

Could you post your recipe please ? Thanks :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rhubarb and gooseberries. Both favourites of mine.

Last time I went fruit picking was in 2017, in Isle of Man. Haven’t been since we left.

I have some rhubarb from in the kitchen ready to chop up and put in the slow cooker. I normally add sweetener. Fantastic with Greek yoghurt.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can remember the taste of a unripe goozgog from when I was a kid, they put the mouth into gear quicker than a lemon. :D
Only reading about it makes my face do this:
62460818_10156065297385740_2329851150548860928_n.jpg

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never actually eaten a gooseberry and have no idea what I’m doing picking them but by the sounds of it I’ll know soon enough if they aren’t ripe.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Only reading about it makes my face do this:
62460818_10156065297385740_2329851150548860928_n.jpg

Looks like some of our Mp's :D
'I hate lemons, but I'd suck a lemon tree if it stops that Boris bloke from being elected' ;):hilarious: :p

D

Deleted member 308541

That seems ...odd. Raspberries are listed higher than strawberries and fairly sure they’re lower at around 6 or 7 g/100 not the 11 this site has them at. Gooseberries not seeming such a good idea at 11 if I believe this
I have always used the Fat Secret Australia site which is pretty much the same as the UK one, I have found the carb content of the items close enough for what I want to eat.

Reactions: HSSS

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a "what the...!" moment for the goat.
It said in the facebook post that the goats kept eating the lemons, despite their faces going all funny, so they must have liked the taste!
Of course now I need to find a goat with an owner who'll allow me to try feeding it lemons :hilarious:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rhubarb and gooseberries. Both favourites of mine.
Mine too - you'r a Listlad after my own heart!

Gooseberries 6g carbs per 100g ( https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/201...d-glucose-levels-everything-you-need-to-know/)
The Fat Sectret figures appear to be including fibre under carbs as per USA practice, so deducting this puts the figure in line with our Diabetes.co.uk one.
When I can get hold of them, these are one of my low carb summertime in-season treats.

I eat a lot of rhubarb and from memory, carbs UK figures (US net carbs) are approx 3g per 100g.

Robbity

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you guys and girls top and tail each gooseberry before eating / cooking?