Got A Free Tester Today

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
I had a 6 monthly check up with the Diabetic Nurse todsy who ran her usual checks (blood pressure etc) and then asked if there was anything I wanted to ask.

I raised the point of my recent low BG readings (1.2, 1.3 and 1.9 mmol/l) and said that this confused me. She was quite emphatic that I didn't have readings that low because simply, I would be dead. I showed her the pictures of my tester. She was equally confused and said that she suspected the meter may have been giving rouge readings. To eliminate this she gave me a BG tester, but said as a type 2 I dont need to check as often as a type 1 does and said that once a week was enough.

On the plus side I have lost 3 stone in weight due to healthy diet and some exercise. My Hba1c reading is down and my cholesterol levels are also down

Attachments

• 20180912_134415.jpg
    20180912_134415.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Reactions: xfieldok

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the amazing weight loss, and the HbA1c and cholesterol reductions. :)

I have to agree with your nurse about those low readings. There was something wrong with those tests. However, I strongly disagree with her advice to only test once a week. How else can you control your blood sugars and learn about your food choices? She is wrong on that one.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you getting prescriptions for strips? If your getting readings that low checking once a week is next to useless.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I raised the point of my recent low BG readings (1.2, 1.3 and 1.9 mmol/l) and said that this confused me.

Did you have hypo symptoms then? Last time I had a weird low reading (1.9) I retested and immediately got 8, so rogue readings do occur. What meds are you on?

D

Deleted member 308541

To eliminate this she gave me a BG tester, but said as a type 2 I dont need to check as often as a type 1 does and said that once a week was enough.
Did she have any particular day / time in mind to do this weekly bgl test.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Any blood glucose tester meter you are given for free is a loss leader, unless you get them on prescription keeping it supplied with strips will cost you a small fortune. Testing once per week is pretty useless. You really need to get a handle on how your blood sugars go up and down through the day this means initially testing several times per day: in the morning, before meals after meals and before bed. Armed with this information you can tailor your diet and drive your average blood glucose and HbA1c down. After that you can reduce the frequency of testing . I usually skip testing for couple of months then go back to testing for a week to make sure I haven't let my diet slip.
I use an SD CodeFree meter it is accurate and the cost of test strips is not extortionate.

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
Thank you for the support on my weight loss and the improved readings for Hab1c etc. It's encouraging when others help me along on this, otherwise I sometimes fell "why bother"?

I don't know what to make of the readings being that low to be honest. They were about 2 months apart and if they were rouge readings then I would have thought they would be a one off. However to eliminate this I have changed from the TEE2 meter to one of the Codefree meters that seem to be quite popular on here. So far it's all good (and the strips are cheaper too)

I'm on Metformin (500mg) three times a day with food and Atorvastatin for the cholesterol and like everyone on here I agree that regular/frequent testing is the key to self management of this condition.

The meter I have been given is a CareSens NPOP. They are supplied by Spirit health care (who also supplied my TEE2) It came with 10 test strips but I have ordered some more just to make sure that I don't run out. To be honest, I will continue testing multiple times a day with the Codefree tester but will do one a day with the NPOP because I know the Diabetic Nurse will want to see the results in 6 months.

Either way I am chuffed with the results of my Hab1c tests etc and with any luck, the next set of tests will be even better.