Got approved for a Pump today!!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
meela83 said:
Well I was diagnosed 16 years ago and was only told about carb counting in Feb of this year. When the nurses asked me what I had done before I was honest and said 'I guess!'. That would probably go a long way to explain the HbA1c of 14.6% ooops!

like Alan said above, you probably used the 'merlin' approach to insulin dosage like the rest of us, wizardry combined with a bit of jiggery pokery and hey presto! :lol: I can see you have your pump now, how exciting! I can't wait :D

meela83

Debloubed said:
meela83 said:
like Alan said above, you probably used the 'merlin' approach to insulin dosage like the rest of us, wizardry combined with a bit of jiggery pokery and hey presto! :lol: I can see you have your pump now, how exciting! I can't wait :D

Yes Debloubed that would pretty much explain my method lol!
It is exciting having the pump although I haven't had my funding approved yet so still on trial. The first couple of weeks were a little frustrating as my bg was running a little high but things are becoming more controlled and it is amazing to know what your blood sugars are going to do most of the time. It is definitely a case of trial and error but well worth it. Do you know when you will get yours?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have first meeting early 2010 so hope to be up and running by March, if everything goes well - I've been told that once I've been for my first appt, it should motor along at a faster rate, all this waiting is driving me nuts! :p

So what is the deal with your funding? Who has to approve that?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
debloubed asked, So what is the deal with your funding? Who has to approve that?

The local PCT, as with everything, are in charge of funding.

If a Diabetologist / Endocrinologist recommends insulin pump therapy, a PCT cannot refuse to fund insulin pump therapy on grounds of cost. PCTs are also not allowed to create "waiting lists" for pump therapy. Anyone who has heard from a PCT employee rather than a practicing doctor that he or she is not eligible for a pump, or who has been placed on a "waiting list" to begin insulin pump therapy, is requested to contact INPUT for advice.

INPUT
9 Grafton Gardens
Lymington
Hants SO41 8AS
Tel: 01590 677911
http://www.input.me.uk

meela83

Debloubed said:
Have first meeting early 2010 so hope to be up and running by March, if everything goes well - I've been told that once I've been for my first appt, it should motor along at a faster rate, all this waiting is driving me nuts! :p

So what is the deal with your funding? Who has to approve that?

Oh hope things go nice and quickly for you! My consultants agreed that a pump would be a good way to go and so the nurse organised one for me to trial, to make sure I liked it. Had pump clinic on thursday and they were happy that the pump was the right treatment so have now put the application for funding in. Consultant says he has never had one refused and with a bit of luck my funding should be through before christmas! It will be nice to have a shiny new pump that is all my own! The hospital is providing all the bits and pieces for me in the meantime.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What a great Christmas present for you! fingers crossed you manage to sort it all out by then :D

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
kegstore said:
Quick question here, although I am told DAFNE involves more than just carb counting, can I ask how all you T1s out there managed for so long (survived even?) WITHOUT carb counting? I've been doing it every day since diagnosis.

When I started out on this game, we were told to eat a set amount of carbs each day and given a list of "exchanges" each of which were called "Black Lines". One black line was a portion containing 10g of carb, one Red Line had 10g of protein (I think). I can remember that a glass of milk - 7oz - was one black line and one red line although there was no need to count red lines unless overweight.

So... breakfast would be so many lines, mid morning snack of 1 line, dinner was around 6 lines, afternoon snack another one, tea-time (us up north have dinner at dinner time) was another 6 lines or whatever and then supper time. At age 11 or 12, I seem to remember having 22 or 24 lines a day. Of course - one single insulin injection per day - something called "Lente". (Which is Latin for 'slow' I think). That was it - no further education until DAFNE came along 42 years later. The years in between? Eventually went to multiple injections of quick acting and two injections of long acting insulin but as far as diet, in the absence of any guidence or scientific method ended up with the Merlin approach - "bit more tonight as its chilli and rice", "Chippie for tea - mmmm - more QA. (Long acting dose, I never changed). In short, I started on feeding the fixed dose of insulin and over the years varied the dose by wizardry but generally had the same for each meal - feeding the insulin again. DAFNE and pump come along and BINGO! Blood test results start to mean something, total daily insulin dose goes down, lose over a stone in weight and at long last feel a lot more in control ..... although there are many days when I am left scratching my head wondering why "that" happened!

Alan

meela83

Allan it's interesting that you say you lost weight when you started on the pump. I have been on the pump about 3 weeks and am not overweight (always just under 10st and 5"7) but I have lost 2kg in this time. Do you think that could be because of TTD being reduced?
ps.I'm not complaining with xmas parties coming up! :wink:

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
meela83 said:
... but I have lost 2kg in this time. Do you think that could be because of TTD being reduced? ...

Abolutely YES! Losing weight for me was always very difficult when on insulin and without the DAFNE principles. I would reduce my insulin dose ... by some random figure I guess... and then eat less. However, inevitably, I wouldn't have reduced it enough and so a few hours later - out come the quick acting carbs! Insulin has a tendency to cause weight gain I believe but I will leave it up to others to verify that. My consultant is talking about putting me on Metformin as well as insulin by pump in order to reduce my TDD even further but I am not too sure about coping with that regime to be honest. (and from what I hear, that Metformin can have some unpleasant effects in terms of ahem, - "tummy things".

Alan

meela83

meela83 said:
(and from what I hear, that Metformin can have some unpleasant effects in terms of ahem, - "tummy things

Mmmm that may speed up any weight loss but perhaps not the best way to go about it lol

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Alzibiff said:
meela83 said:
... but I have lost 2kg in this time. Do you think that could be because of TTD being reduced? ...

Abolutely YES! Losing weight for me was always very difficult when on insulin and without the DAFNE principles. I would reduce my insulin dose ... by some random figure I guess... and then eat less. However, inevitably, I wouldn't have reduced it enough and so a few hours later - out come the quick acting carbs! Insulin has a tendency to cause weight gain I believe but I will leave it up to others to verify that. My consultant is talking about putting me on Metformin as well as insulin by pump in order to reduce my TDD even further but I am not too sure about coping with that regime to be honest. (and from what I hear, that Metformin can have some unpleasant effects in terms of ahem, - "tummy things".

Alan

I agree, I lost 3lbs doing my DAFNE course (NB: I'm not overweight either!) but I was using much less insulin than ever before - haven't weighed myself recently but was weighed at my last 6 mth review and I was half a stone lighter than the previous 6 mth review..........(although I swear they have an elephant in the room when they weigh me who must come and stick a toe on the scales as I always weigh more there than I do at home :lol: )

sugar2

This is really interesting. I have been put forward for a pump, because of my frequesnt hypos. I was told by the Dr that they usually only consider people with a HbA1C of over 10 (I think, don't quote me on teh number...but it was quite high!).
the arguement is that they cost a lot of money, and dipite them wanting everyone to get one, they want to concentrate on "those in most need". When you read of our T2 friend being refused test strips, I can see where they come from.

Has anyone else fallen foul of this post code lottery?
I am not sure what hoop I have to leap through next though. I have been receommended, seen teh nurse, who sent me away with some shorter needles (I know this moght help, but I don't have great hopes) and a appointment in March...well, I say march, they have already cancelled it and I only made it last week! (Last time they cancelled 6 times!) I have also seen teh dietician, who thinks that the pump would work for me, and I am serious and bright enough to be able to handle it (!!!!!ger words, not mine!).

My hypo is real, but I get the distinct impression that some exageration would help bump me up the list! will look into INPUT, thanks for teh info

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi sugar2.

INPUT is a great organisation. The person on here who seems to know the most about getting a pump etc is, I think Kegstore. Send a pm and see if you get more advice there. Definitely an experienced 'pumper.'