1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

GP just told me not to drive. Help

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Deadeye_Pete, Jun 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Deadeye_Pete

Deadeye_Pete Type 3c · Member

Ok, so I've just come back from my gp appointment where i said that i had a hypo while driving without being aware i was hypo.

The doc said not to drive until fitness to drive has been assessed by the diabetes team and has referred me for an urgent consultation.

Now I've got home and checked the history of my blood sugar, it was 4.7 mmol/l at the time in question. I was on a long journey and had stopped at a motorway services for a routine blood check. (1hour and 53minutes since the last test). We decided that it was a good time for lunch. My sugar did drop to 3.3 half an hour later by which time I'd already had glucose tablets and a pasty.

Have i shot myself in the foot with this, since the doc has said i must tell DVLA about reduced hypo awareness - we also discussed my sudden onset of hypo symptoms without warning when my BG drops to the 3's.

Help, please.,
    Pete

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Pete,

The issue here is that you are reporting a lack of hypo awareness which would affect your ability to drive. Had you also gone hypo whilst driving as unsure from your post if the hypo occurred whilst driving ?

Have you been running your levels fairly tight to lose your awareness ? Your team will want you to run levels high for a while to improve your hypo awareness, once you can prove that you have improved your hypo awareness then you can resume driving.

3. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. MeiChanski

6. MeiChanski

7. Deadeye_Pete

Deadeye_Pete Type 3c · Member

Thanks for all the replies so quickly.
    I found i was getting low by doing a routine 2- hour test while driving(4.7). Since this was below 5 and around lunchtime we decided to stop & eat, only my blood went lower still and i started to feel it then.

I think the problem i have is that I'm not feeling the hypo until I'm well below 4 mmol/l. It's not even been two years since diagnosis and i could feel getting low at 5-6 mmol/l a few months ago.

I'm not either a T1 or T2, but a T3c caused by gallstone pancreatitis which has completely destroyed my pancreas. I didn't feel that coming on either...

I'll have to wait and see what the diabetes team say, and hope my boss is understanding enough to let me work from home mostly. Unfortunately the nearest public transport is six miles away.

8. searley

searley Type 2 · Well-Known Member

From what I'm aware you are not clinically classed as hypo until you are below a reading of 4mmol

You are allowed to drive below 5 although they recommend that you have a snack if you are..

I think you made a mistake in telling them you were unaware as you didn't need to be at 5mmol

Even if you sensed it a 3mmol and you treated it without help then you didn't need to tell them anything other than you were low

I drive HGV I'm allowed hypos But I have to treat them myself. The Dvla are only concerned about hypos to the stage that you need help from someone else whether family or ambulance etc.. Even then you are allowed 1 of those per year so long as it wasn't whilst driving. So a reading of 2.2mmol is ok if I was aware and treated it myself.

So you need to clarify with them that you were aware and were able to treat it yourself.. And make sure that your care team are aware that you are allowed hypos that you self treat..

And next time consider what you say before you say it. As if you say something slightly wrong or even if it's misunderstood it can have big consequences.

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook