GP said no to test strips

I completed my visit to the DN and doctor this week and all went well apart from when I asked them for the test strips ..I was told a straight forward no saying that NHS is cutting down cost and test strips are not prescribed now…is that correct ??

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Sadly I'm afraid it is correct. :thumbdown:
There is a petition you can sign regarding free strips for type 2's and there is a link on this website that will take you to the government site to sign the petition. :thumbup:
The more of us(including friends and family) who can sign and show a united front-the better hopefully! :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yes the number of gp's who will prescribe any or enough test strips for Type 2's is very few. The UK NICE guidelines probably say who should but they are just guidelines. Certainly if you are not on medication or just on Metformin so that you run no chance of a hypo your chances are minimal. Even if you quote the guidelines to your gp he can overrule them just by saying "but I don't recommend them in your case" and that's that.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Most Gps have stopped prescribing strips for nn-insulin users. that's why most of the meter suppliers now provide an excellent service selling consumables. Abbott, who supply the Freestyle meter I use sell direct for £16:?? and no extra charge for P&P which is by first class post. They keep a data base of custmers. I imagine the other suppliers do something similar.
If you want to buy your own, xheck with your meter supplier.
The Code Free meter I bought from Amazon has very cheap consumables, but I found it unreliable and have sent it back. they did admit there had been some "issues".
Hana

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
hanadr said:
Most Gps have stopped prescribing strips for nn-insulin users. that's why most of the meter suppliers now provide an excellent service selling consumables. Abbott, who supply the Freestyle meter I use sell direct for £16:?? and no extra charge for P&P which is by first class post. They keep a data base of custmers. I imagine the other suppliers do something similar.
If you want to buy your own, xheck with your meter supplier.
The Code Free meter I bought from Amazon has very cheap consumables, but I found it unreliable and have sent it back. they did admit there had been some "issues".
Hana
What issues did you have with the meter? I have an SD codefree and it sometimes shows a reading up to 3-4mmol lower than my other meter and my friends meter which both show very similar results so I'm suspecting the SD codefree to be suspect on this occasion.
Did the supplier give you any specific info about the problems with those particular meters?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP suggested halving my metformin to help me gain weight so I argued for strips which were stopped years ago by the same GP who said I didnt need to test .My BGs are controlled and that is because I test and so GP agreed to 1 box of strips but told me to make them last a long long long time :!:
CAROL