GP's, why can't I get an appointment ?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Part time GPs are part of the problem as it costs the NHS the same to train a part time GP as a full time GP. There is the same issue with on going training.

I think making all GPs commit to full time employment for the whole of their working lives after training mitigates against mothers and children. Like all other students, these days medical students usually rely on loans to fund their training with maintenance grants and bursaries available to the least well off. By the time they’ce completed the five years of study to become a doctor they, too, will have forked out or gone into debt by a considerable amount.
It would be honest we’re the stats to count part time hours as a fraction of a whole, I agree. And greater funding for the NHS seems more than a necessity if we’re to avert the nightmare of private-public partnerships, private insurance for medical care and the inequalities of a system like that in the USA.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I'd rather have a part-time GP, who is fit to practise (i.e., not burnt out and exhausted), than a full timer too frazzled to make consistently safe decisions, and/or diagnosis.

My preferred GP is part-time, Tuesday-Thursday only. I can't say I grudge her whatever she does from Friday until Monday.

It's all horribly difficult.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Two of the problems, as I see it, are that Health Secretaries have failed to plan ahead and train sufficient numbers of GPs to replace those coming up for retirement, and the reforms to NHS contracts have meant that many have left the country. I know 3 personally who are now in Australia, all of them friends of our children and children of friends. They left to find better working conditions and a better work/life balance.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Confession, we had people round. Just about to watch the programme on iplayer

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I rather like the idea of having a physiotherapist employed by the GP practice. There must be hundreds of patients seeing doctors with conditions that require a referral to a physio. It would save all that bother.

My preferred GP is part time, and also has extended leave during school holidays. It does make life a little annoying if I particularly want to see her, but hey! I worked part time for the latter part of my career and was very relieved I was able to do so.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I rather like the idea of having a physiotherapist employed by the GP practice. There must be hundreds of patients seeing doctors with conditions that require a referral to a physio. It would save all that bother.

My preferred GP is part time, and also has extended leave during school holidays. It does make life a little annoying if I particularly want to see her, but hey! I worked part time for the latter part of my career and was very relieved I was able to do so.

We have an in-house physio. :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We do not even have an in house DSN or phlebotomist!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
All appointments at my practice must now be made online or in person. There are exceptions e.g housebound but this has to be ok-ed by a GP. I had given up trying to get through on the phone anyway.

Reactions: masonbason63

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a phlebotomist. Appointments are around 3 weeks ahead

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All appointments at my practice must now be made online or in person. There are exceptions e.g housebound but this has to be ok-ed by a GP. I had given up trying to get through on the phone anyway.
And the elderly, especially if infirm, cope with this how? ( not your fault at all and I expect no answer from you)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The HCA's (of which there are several at our practice) do our blood draws. Appointments are the same day or at worst the same week. The appointments are every 5 minutes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And the elderly, especially if infirm, cope with this how? ( not your fault at all and I expect no answer from you)
As I say, there are exceptions but the GPs have to put a note on their records that they are allowed to make an appointment by phone.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Finished watching. Dr Boyen is a star! Really worrying to see that using paramedics and pharmacists in GP practices is happening alongside unfilled vacancies in the Ambulance Services and Pharmacies. Thank you very much Jeremy *unt for failing to make good on the number of new GPs promised and thank you too, Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, Osborne et al, for failing to adequately fund the NHS. Bouquets of thorny roses for all involved. Yes, feeling bitter, and angry.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a choice of 12 time slots on 21st May, looking online. But booking by phone can sometimes prise out an earlier slot not visible online, particularly if more urgent.

I also check each day for any cancellations which has proved fruitful on occasion.

D

Deleted member 308541

I just phone the practise and ask for an appointment within the next three day period and at approx time. Always manage to get one, I have never tried the online service they have though.

I would hate to have to put up with the #%@& you have to put up with the NHS again.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see no point in politicians saying they have put X amount of billions into the NHS if the amount is insufficient to run a baseline minimum service, and doesnt take inflation and training into account. The figure is meaningless.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hmmm...in USA I pay cash,45 dollars to see my Dr of over 20 years.If sick he will see you same day at end of day.Usually I book for same week for check ups or prescriptions.Of course,we have serious issues too,like being financially destroyed by a major incident.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My family and I wouldn’t have had the money to pay for the GP appointment and the hospitalisation for DKA when I was diagnosed, nor for the insulin. We’d not have been able to afford insurance. I’d have been snuffed out at 20.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just phone the practise and ask for an appointment within the next three day period and at approx time. Always manage to get one, I have never tried the online service they have though.

I would hate to have to put up with the #%@& you have to put up with the NHS again.
I thank my lucky stars every day for the NHS - there is by far more right than wrong with it. I consider myself extremely lucky to get health care without having to worry about wether I can afford it

D

Deleted member 308541

I thank my lucky stars every day for the NHS - there is by far more right than wrong with it.
I was grateful while in hospital in the UK as teenager, I learnt how to play pontoon / blackjack while in the mens surgical ward. :D

Reactions: 1spuds