Gps!!!!!! Why Do They Interfere? Now Short On Medication.

meardonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Background, was in hospital 7 weeks, came out 3,weeks ago, while in was tube fed so got insulin. Before hospital i was starting to try metformin which was bad for me due to my other health conditions. Came out of hospital starting to eat again so diabetic nurse suggested we try glycizide instead of staying on insulin. I left hospital on 1 tablet 2x day. Diabetic nurse rang me weekly. Due to my bloods she upped the dose to 2 in morning 1 in evening, then to 2 twice a day. I rang drs for repeat prescription, after having to argue they eventually saw letter from hospital with glycizide on it and prescribed me some. I only got 1 box with the original dose on it. I start using the new box then quickly realise there wasnt many in a box and id run out. So less than a week later i ring up again, another argument as I try tovexplain diabetic nurse is adjusting the dose, i gave the nurses number. But was told they wouldn't prescribe them as the gp will have to look to see if he thinks i need them! I rang up yesterday still not sorted. I dont have enough for over the weekend and i cant get out to pick up as still stuck in the house recovering.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Background, was in hospital 7 weeks, came out 3,weeks ago, while in was tube fed so got insulin. Before hospital i was starting to try metformin which was bad for me due to my other health conditions. Came out of hospital starting to eat again so diabetic nurse suggested we try glycizide instead of staying on insulin. I left hospital on 1 tablet 2x day. Diabetic nurse rang me weekly. Due to my bloods she upped the dose to 2 in morning 1 in evening, then to 2 twice a day. I rang drs for repeat prescription, after having to argue they eventually saw letter from hospital with glycizide on it and prescribed me some. I only got 1 box with the original dose on it. I start using the new box then quickly realise there wasnt many in a box and id run out. So less than a week later i ring up again, another argument as I try tovexplain diabetic nurse is adjusting the dose, i gave the nurses number. But was told they wouldn't prescribe them as the gp will have to look to see if he thinks i need them! I rang up yesterday still not sorted. I dont have enough for over the weekend and i cant get out to pick up as still stuck in the house recovering.
And stressed out.
It is a disgrace! Make a GP phone call appointment at your Practice and explain the addition stress from it all when the gp calls. Ask him why nurse hadn't added this increase to your notes or had it authorised by a GP as a repeat?
Get your gp receptionist to do this booking for you and be insistent. Any gp in your practice will do.
Let us know how you fair! All unnecessary stress. Poor you.
Now relax and recuperate properly. :)

Last edited:

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where are you ?
If you are in the UK you have all day to ring your GP and ask for a repeat prescription

Maybe better you ask for 5 repeats at one time instead of 2

But if your not feeling well over the weekend you can attend the public hospital emergency and ask for medication.
They have pharmacists 24 hours in the big hospitals,failing that im not sure what you can do ,but let us know how you go ,i hope your ok:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Where are you ?
If you are in the UK you have all day to ring your GP and ask for a repeat prescription

Maybe better you ask for 5 repeats at one time instead of 2
My GP practice does accept repeat requests.. all day.
Yes, she will need to ask gp.

meardonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And stressed out.
It is a disgrace! Make a GP phone call appointment at your Practice and explain the addition stress from it all when the gp calls. Ask him why nurse hadn't added this I crease to your notes or had it authorised by a GP as a repeat?
Get your gp receptionist to do this booking for you and be insistent. Any gp in your practice will do.
Let us know how you fair! All unnecessary stress. Poor you.
Now relax and recuperate properly. :)
They do it all the time. My son has heart problems. He had surgery 3 years ago and because of his size ( hes like a fully grown man) he was put on beta blockers which arent given to kids. It was oncall his discharge papers. But when i went to get repeat prescription gp refused. I had to then ring my sons consultant and get him yo ring gp and argue it out. The thingvis you cant just stop beya bloopers, its dangerous, and we were getting very close to running out. Had to go to hospital to get some to cover us while gp got his act together. Keep thinking i should change gp! With being friday is going to be difficult to get them. The diabetic nurse is through the hospital and would have updated my notes but gp probably didn't look, just looking at discharge letter.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Keep thinking i should change gp!

A sorry state of affairs, I wish I could help. I think another surgery is called for, your GP doesn't seem to be doing his job properly and I might even consider making an official complaint. The last thing you need is a stroppy receptionist to add to the problems. She doesn't have a funny little mustache does she? Speaks with a foreign accent? I hope you get it sorted!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

meardonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A sorry state of affairs, I wish I could help. I think another surgery is called for, your GP doesn't seem to be doing his job properly and I might even consider making an official complaint. The last thing you need is a stroppy receptionist to add to the problems. She doesn't have a funny little mustache does she? Speaks with a foreign accent? I hope you get it sorted!
No butvshes one of those nosey ones that has to know exactly what you want to see dr about before letting you have and appointment.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
They do it all the time. My son has heart problems. He had surgery 3 years ago and because of his size ( hes like a fully grown man) he was put on beta blockers which arent given to kids. It was oncall his discharge papers. But when i went to get repeat prescription gp refused. I had to then ring my sons consultant and get him yo ring gp and argue it out. The thingvis you cant just stop beya bloopers, its dangerous, and we were getting very close to running out. Had to go to hospital to get some to cover us while gp got his act together. Keep thinking i should change gp! With being friday is going to be difficult to get them. The diabetic nurse is through the hospital and would have updated my notes but gp probably didn't look, just looking at discharge letter.
Yes this does happen. My change of insulin was a nightmare via hospital with gp. Luckily my gp agreed one week worth til letter was received at his practice, and it was a Easter Bank Holiday. Hospital agreed to do a script for one week til gp received letter but gp stated not received but reluctantly did it. He's a compassionate gp, mine.

meardonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes this does happen. My change of insulin was a nightmare via hospital with gp. Luckily my gp agreed one week worth til letter was received at his practice, and it was a Easter Bank Holiday. Hospital agreed to do a script for one week til gp received letter but gp stated not received but reluctantly did it. He's a compassionate gp, mine.
Mine isnt. Compassionate

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes failure of communication between hospital and GP causes problems
At my last review with the consultant endo in March, my medication was halved but when I informed the GP he said that because they havnt had any letter from the hospital they are unable to change my prescription so I should chase the hospital to send a letter. I have chased the hospital, but still no letter which means Im still getting prescriptions for double the dose I need and which Im only using half of. Ive been advised not to do the sensible thing ( i.e. order repeats less often) because that would lead the GP practice to assume Im being non compliant with medication and stopping repeats altogether.