Great Day on Sunday

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

I haven’t posted on here for a while but would just like to share with you my fantastic day at the Prudential London-Surrey Ride 100 cycle on Sunday. It’s the 2nd year I have done it (1st being 2014 when the route length was curtailed to 86 miles due to bad weather).

I’ve been training my socks off for the last 5 months and was aiming to finish under 5 hours. I managed to finally come in at 4 hours 52 minutes which included a 5 minute stop for a chat with family and friends as well as a 5 minute stop due to the need for stretching after getting excruciating cramp in both legs after about 60 miles. Average speed was about 20.5mph for the whole ride.

But best of all my blood sugars were 5.3 at the start, 5.2 mid ride and 4.2 at the finish line. I’ve been on a pump for a year and it just makes my riding so much easier. I generally reduce my basal by 30% and take onboard about 40-50g carbs per hour with no bolus and can normally keep my levels to within about 2mmol from their starting point.

Not bad for a middle aged bloke whose been T1 for 75% of his life I think.
I'm not normally a boastful person but bloody hell I felt good about that!

Reactions: 2 people

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Fantastic! Well done!