Great HBA1C

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. I had my first three month review and I rang receptionist today and she said my HBA1C was 38 (hopefully she read it right) but she said my serum cholesterol was 6.3 does that mean I need statins now sniff I was really chuffed one minute then down the next thinking what else can be chucked at me

Before you make any decision on statins you need to know the breakdown of your total cholesterol. Being told it is 6.3 is of no use at all. You need your HDL, LDL and triglycerides. The total is simply a total of the good and the bad cholesterol. If you don't have these figures then you need to get hold of them. You can ask for a print out of the test results which will show all the tests you had, the results, and the standard ranges. If you don't understand them, post them here and we can help you. Don't be down about it. All is not lost!

Well done indeed on your HbA1c. :)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Totally agree with Bluetit1802

Your cholesterol number is useless without know the details.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before you make any decision on statins you need to know the breakdown of your total cholesterol. Being told it is 6.3 is of no use at all. You need your HDL, LDL and triglycerides. The total is simply a total of the good and the bad cholesterol. If you don't have these figures then you need to get hold of them. You can ask for a print out of the test results which will show all the tests you had, the results, and the standard ranges. If you don't understand them, post them here and we can help you. Don't be down about it. All is not lost!

Well done indeed on your HbA1c. :)

The letter just says 6.3 it was 6.9 in October I go back on the 8th

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is heading in the right direction, even by the interpretation of medics who are not up to date. If you ask for a breakdown of your total cholesterol, you will probably find it is heading even more in the right direction, because on LCHF your HDL is likely to have gone up and your triglycerides down also, both very good results.

So, ask for a breakdown of your total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and TG, both for your most recent test and the one in October, and post the results on here and you will be inundated with feedback from people who have read the up to date research, then decide what you want to do about it.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The letter just says 6.3 it was 6.9 in October I go back on the 8th

If you ring reception and ask for the print outs of this test and the previous one, you will have time to analyse them before you go back on the 8th. This way you will have the information and knowledge you need to discuss matters. Otherwise you will be going to the appointment blind.