Great HBA1C

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good evening all. I had my first three month review and I rang receptionist today and she said my HBA1C was 38 (hopefully she read it right) but she said my serum cholesterol was 6.3 does that mean I need statins now sniff I was really chuffed one minute then down the next thinking what else can be chucked at me

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Very well done. Doctors like to see total cholestorol below 5.0. However, you need to find out your Triglycerides, HDL and LDL numbers and the ratio of Trigs to HDL. If you are concerned you can eat more oily fish and walking improves figures. As for statins, these look like they are marginally good for persons who have already had a heart attack and this article is worth a read http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4695744/Do-statins-harm-good.html. Ivor Cummins is worth a youtube and Dr Zoe Harcombe to get a real understanding.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a complex subject. The vast majority of healthcare professionals believe the ‘diet / health / cholesterol’ hypothesis, but a lot of other people believe that this has been a fatally flawed hypothesis, and actually Cholesterol has been demonised for no good reason.

This article was only released today, and it very accurately sums up the situation.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2018/01/16/bjsports-2017-098497

Interesting people who do not agree with the Cholesterol theory include Dr Malcolm Kendrick, I can’t recommend ‘The Great Cholesterol Con’ enough. Dr Aseem Malhotra also has an interesting perspective, as a Cardiologist.

If, as part as your LCHF diet to reduce your HbA1c has actually induced weight loss, your cholesterol will have gone up because you are mobilising fat stores for fuel, and your cholesterol levels will likely drop back normally when your weight has stabilised.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. What do you think about the cholesterol xx
Hi. My cholesterol has been 6.7 for years, but my GP isn't bothered! The DN wanted me to have another blood test and possibly go onto statins but I haven't gone back for the blood test yet! That's not to say you shouldn't go on statins - do your research and make up your own mind. No-one can make you take them.

Reactions: dbr10

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is a complex subject. The vast majority of healthcare professionals believe the ‘diet / health / cholesterol’ hypothesis, but a lot of other people believe that this has been a fatally flawed hypothesis, and actually Cholesterol has been demonised for no good reason.

This article was only released today, and it very accurately sums up the situation.

Interesting people who do not agree with the Cholesterol theory include Dr Malcolm Kendrick, I can’t recommend ‘The Great Cholesterol Con’ enough. Dr Aseem Malhotra also has an interesting perspective, as a Cardiologist.

If, as part as your LCHF diet to reduce your HbA1c has actually induced weight loss, your cholesterol will have gone up because you are mobilising fat stores for fuel, and your cholesterol levels will likely drop back normally when your weight has stabilised.

Thanks that is great advice and made me feel a bit better xx

Reactions: dbr10

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On diagnosis my first reading was 100 and finger prick tests were constantly high

Just curious to know...

What does fasting bg levels now read?

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh, sorry, didn’t realise this was behind a paywall, must have originally read it somewhere that I subscribe to.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. I had my first three month review and I rang receptionist today and she said my HBA1C was 38 (hopefully she read it right) but she said my serum cholesterol was 6.3 does that mean I need statins now sniff I was really chuffed one minute then down the next thinking what else can be chucked at me

Congratulations on the HbA1c results. Wonderful achievement and great job. On the cholesterol, I tend to agree with @AtkinsMo.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It means that you can see the summary of the article but that you have to pay for the full version.