Greek food

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I’m due to go to kos end of August for a week.
Has anyone had issues on eating Greek food and how high was you’re readings out there ?
I’m guessing Greek food isn’t that unhealthy like takeaways.
I’m interesting to see my readings after I eat a giros plate.

Matt.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey I’m due to go to kos end of August for a week.
Has anyone had issues on eating Greek food and how high was you’re readings out there ?
I’m guessing Greek food isn’t that unhealthy like takeaways.
I’m interesting to see my readings after I eat a giros plate.

Matt.
Generally Greek food and Mediterranean cuisine are considered healthy. Gyros probably excepted .

It all depends on the choices you make.

And anyway you will be on holiday and it is only a week so letting your hair down a bit probably will not kill you. .

Enjoy your time there.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Stay away from the baklava if you can, its so delicious though, fresh out the kitchen. Drool, I remember it well.

D

Deleted Account

Hey @delticmatt
I see you have posted this in the t1 sub forum.
If you carb count, you should have no issues eating what you fancy... including gyros

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @delticmatt
I see you have posted this in the t1 sub forum.
If you carb count, you should have no issues eating what you fancy... including gyros

That’s something I’ve not started yet. Will need to soon though I’m at gfs parents house. Her mums type 2 so enjoying having balanced cooked food.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Delticmatt100 Wonderful fresh food in Greece, salads, fish, meat, should be amazing. Take care in the heat though I find my insulin needs change a lot in heat, I need less insulin as more sensitive to it so keep a careful eye for the first few days till you are adjusted, also more exercise, less stressed, all factors affect insulin requirements.

Reactions: Delticmatt100

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Yes, I too find I need less insulin in warm weather, so watch out for that in case it is true for you too.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Delticmatt100 Wonderful fresh food in Greece, salads, fish, meat, should be amazing. Take care in the heat though I find my insulin needs change a lot in heat, I need less insulin as more sensitive to it so keep a careful eye for the first few days till you are adjusted, also more exercise, less stressed, all factors affect insulin requirements.

Tx juicy for info. X

Reactions: Juicyj

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @Delticmatt, lucky you, something good to look forward to.
I find that Greece has plenty of good food that’s easy to eat if you’re carb counting - I’ve been known to put a small set of scales in my bag to make sure as a night of highs or lows destroys the fun for the next day. There are lots of salads, including the tourist special Greek Salad, and everything seems to come with a bowl of bread too. Chips are the easy restaurant go to food but I prefer the plain boiled potatoes or the rice myself, or the bread. Try souvlaki, it’s like kebab, or grilled fish, though fish can be expensive. Chicken’s used, and you can usually get a steak too.
Beware the ‘sweets’, the rich syrupy cakes and puddings and try the fresh fruit though grapes, figs and water melon will need dosing for. All delicious so I advise a carbs and Cals app for your phone, plenty of insulin and a frio or two to carry pens in.
I’m sure you’ll find lots of things no one here has mentioned that’ll be great.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Another recommendation for Carbs & Cals although I've never used it when abroad. If it doesn't help in Greece it will definitely help in the UK - it's just like the book but easier to carry round.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Another food memory’s just bounced into my brain. If you like greens and spinach try horta if it’s available, it’s my favourite Greek veg. It’s not available everywhere. The name means wild herbs, collected from the fields and hills when food was scarce, but it’s now applied to just one veg. A squeeze of lemon makes it even nicer.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Delticmatt, lucky you, something good to look forward to.
I find that Greece has plenty of good food that’s easy to eat if you’re carb counting - I’ve been known to put a small set of scales in my bag to make sure as a night of highs or lows destroys the fun for the next day. There are lots of salads, including the tourist special Greek Salad, and everything seems to come with a bowl of bread too. Chips are the easy restaurant go to food but I prefer the plain boiled potatoes or the rice myself, or the bread. Try souvlaki, it’s like kebab, or grilled fish, though fish can be expensive. Chicken’s used, and you can usually get a steak too.
Beware the ‘sweets’, the rich syrupy cakes and puddings and try the fresh fruit though grapes, figs and water melon will need dosing for. All delicious so I advise a carbs and Cals app for your phone, plenty of insulin and a frio or two to carry pens in.
I’m sure you’ll find lots of things no one here has mentioned that’ll be great.

Ty so much for that

Reactions: Fairygodmother
D

Deleted Account

With type 1 diabetes on fixed insulin doses, you need to maintain about the same amount of carbs as you do at home.
Eating low carbs can cause hypos. If you are maintaining your BG with a low carb, your dose may be too low unless you intend to maintain the low carb diet.
I understand it is early days for you but, especially with a holiday on the horizon, I recommend talking to your diabetes team about an introduction to carb counting to give you more flexibility and to understand how to correct for under dosing.

Reactions: Fairygodmother