1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Green soya edamame beans

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by bronte, Jul 1, 2009.

1. bronte

bronte · Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what effect these beans have on your BG when low carbing please?

2. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

The USDA food database lists edamame has having 15.4 grams of carb, 8.1 of which are fiber, in a cup (155 grams).

3. ChocFish

ChocFish · Well-Known Member

Hi bronte
    edamame beans are lovely, pity I dont have any at home right now I fancy some, grrrr

Here is some info:
    What is Edamame? (pronounced ed-ah-mah-may) Soya beans are usually harvested at the end of their life cycle and after they have dried in the pod. Edamame is harvested early like baby sweet corn cobs, while the beans are still immature. Removed from their pods and cooked gently, the small green beans have a unique taste and texture and make a delicious accompaniment to any meal. Alternatively, they work well cold in a fresh salad.
    Serving Suggestion
    Delicious tossed in melted butter and seasoned with freshly ground black pepper.
    Cooking Instructions
    For best results cook from frozen. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the Edamame. Season to taste, return to boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Drain well and serve. Can also be microwaved.
    Nutritional Information
    per 100g:
    Energy 549kJ/130kcal, Protein 14g, Carbohydrate 10g (of which sugars 1.5g), Fat 3.8g (of which saturates 0g), Fibre 7g, Sodium <0.1g.
    Dairy Free Less than 5% fat

All the best

Karen

4. bronte

bronte · Well-Known Member

Thank you. I have some in a tin and some frozen in the pods. Do I eat the pods as well, parden my ignorance. I got these in London the other day. Can you buy them by mail order do you know please?
    Thanks

5. Spiral

Spiral · Well-Known Member

Where can I buy frozen edame beans?

6. cugila

cugila · Master

First of all I don't think it is very easy to find them fresh in the UK (although you might be lucky if you have access to a good Asian supermarket or local fruit and vegetable market).

However some of the big supermarkets have started selling them frozen. You will have to check them out.

Ken.

7. ChocFish

ChocFish · Well-Known Member

Hehehehe no you dont eat the shell, have a look at this link, this persons writes about her first experience with edamame beans, it made me laugh, scroll down to see the video :lol:

http://rinaz.net/2008/11/edamame/

Love from me

Karen x

8. suginami

suginami Type 2 · Member

Eat edamame regularly here in Tokyo. Bar snacks. Frozen are good too.

9. badcat

badcat · Guest

10. smag3

smag3 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morrisons

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook