Greetings

balding-eagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic last July although my hba1c wasn't that bad at 5l mmol/mol. I've read that at that level some GP's don'r even diagnose initially but for whatever reason mine did. I wasn't showing symptoms other than tiredness but I'd just put down to having 4 young kids and not getting enough sleep at night.

The doctor put me on Metformin and Atvorstatin (fairly low doses) though I did come off them 3 months later with reluctant agreement from my doctor as my hba1c levels had reduced to 41 mmol/mol. I've reduced my weight from 115kg to 75kg which I'm pretty happy about, though the NHS BMI website keeps telling me I need to lose another 3.5 kg.

I'm finding it really hard to stick to a diet and drop any more weight - although I've cut my carb intake down significantly I just can't stop snacking. At least I've switched from milk chocolate and crips to nuts, ham, cheese and 90% / 100% chocolate. but I'm eating far too much of them.

I was due another blood test 6 weeks ago but I've been too afraid to go back in case my levels are up again or I've seen a jump in cholesterol due to the higher amount of fats I'm eating. I've been ignoring my condition in the hope it will just go away, which of course it won't.

I bought a blood glucose meter today to start testing regularly and I know I'm going to have to face the music and get an appointment for my blood tests booked on Monday. I'm hoping that being here and being active in the daily fasting level and weekly weigh in threads will keep me accountable and on track with managing this condition.

mouseee

I'd bite the bullet and get retested. You could be pleasantly surprised. Alternatively, it could give you the kick up the backside you may need.

Sounds like you've made a great start. It's a long haul isn't it.

Let my poor result recently drive you on. I started to slip with food and kept slipping. Hba1c high again now. I lost control. The recent result has certainly focused the mind! Back on it now.... again!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just can't stop snacking
Sounds like you been restricting intakes at meal times so your body is crying out for more inbtween. Try increasing your meals until you feel full (protein and healthy fats are good to do that). If the urge to snack is still there, check it is really hunger and not other emotions such as habit, comfort eating, anger etc. If really hungry try a spoonful or 2 of thick creamy greek yoghurt, then walk away until the next meal time.

See how that goes. Plenty more ideas if that doesn't do it for you

Reactions: Outlier

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic last July although my hba1c wasn't that bad at 5l mmol/mol. I've read that at that level some GP's don'r even diagnose initially but for whatever reason mine did. I wasn't showing symptoms other than tiredness but I'd just put down to having 4 young kids and not getting enough sleep at night.

The doctor put me on Metformin and Atvorstatin (fairly low doses) though I did come off them 3 months later with reluctant agreement from my doctor as my hba1c levels had reduced to 41 mmol/mol. I've reduced my weight from 115kg to 75kg which I'm pretty happy about, though the NHS BMI website keeps telling me I need to lose another 3.5 kg.

I'm finding it really hard to stick to a diet and drop any more weight - although I've cut my carb intake down significantly I just can't stop snacking. At least I've switched from milk chocolate and crips to nuts, ham, cheese and 90% / 100% chocolate. but I'm eating far too much of them.

I was due another blood test 6 weeks ago but I've been too afraid to go back in case my levels are up again or I've seen a jump in cholesterol due to the higher amount of fats I'm eating. I've been ignoring my condition in the hope it will just go away, which of course it won't.

I bought a blood glucose meter today to start testing regularly and I know I'm going to have to face the music and get an appointment for my blood tests booked on Monday. I'm hoping that being here and being active in the daily fasting level and weekly weigh in threads will keep me accountable and on track with managing this condition.
How did things go? I had a similar pattern to yours - I found that nuts, ham and cheese in quantity did nothing bad to my BG, weight loss continued, and despite an increase in my fat intake both in absolute and relative terms, my total cholesterol fell (not that it matters, everything else was already in range).