Group education course.

Crackaig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
As someone with a recent diagnosis, I have been given loads of information, including Diabetes UK's "Your Guide to Type 2 Diabetes". Something I keep coming across is Group education classes, which I am supposed to be offered the opportunity to attend. However, this is the Highlands; there are no courses available here. This is nothing unusual, living here you soon get used to the idea of fending for yourself.
My question then is, Is the course material for this course available in a self study format? If it is, where do I access it?
Sorry if this has been asked to death before, but my basic searches have turned up no information.
Cheers,
A.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest a lot of people have found diabetes courses to be generally unhelpful (or even positively misleading). Thy will tend to follow NHS mantra of the Eatwell Guide which a lot of us have discovered doesn't really help control blood sugar levels.
You'd be far better off spending a couple of hours looking at the www.dietdoctor.com site and the low carb forums on this site for info.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I suggest that you start your research right here taking in the advice and experiences of members who live with this condition on a daily basis. Start by learning what you can do to manage your blood glucose levels using diet, excercise and your glucometer. Consider the Low Carb Programme offered by this site. As Bulkbiker has suggested, use the Dietdoctor website for info on diet, the DitchtheCarbs site can be useful, too. Ask as many questions as you like.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What @bulkbiker says is correct but if still want to access the Type 2 course it is called DESMOND, at least it is in England, if you search for it there is an online version.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still worry about a couple of the people who were on the course with me - they were so worried and one was seriously ill - and the information was so bad - If you get yourself a meter to be able to check your blood glucose and a book on eating low carb - anything - I use Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution which I got years ago marked down in a health food shop - you'll be far better off than being told not to test and that baked beans and baked potatoes are the sort of things you can eat without any trouble.....