Growing Up

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi. I have a little problem(argument) with my parents. They dont want to leave me alone in home longer than 1 day. I mean they are afraid that im not independent. Im 16 y/o. They are most afraid about nights(they say that I would have low bs and not wake up) and sometimes about dinner(yeah I dont usually cook but ill do my best to prepare something eatable :) ). I think that they wont let me go on any longer trip or even let me travel to other town(for i.e. shopping or for training). They are always afraid. My diabetes is well controlled and personally Id like to live my own life(ofc when I go somewhere for longer time like birthday party/meeting, I take my bag with all equipment and sandwiches/candies just in case). What should I do?

That's a tough one - I was diagnosed in 1966 and my parents basically gave me the same amount of freedom as my non diabetic brother and sister. I was never home, usually on a bicycle exploring, or on a lake fishing (by myself) or involved in very physically demanding competitive sports. I guess that was their decision and it didn't kill me. I knew I was lucky because there were quite a few diabetic kids whose parents did not give them the same amount of freedom as mine.

It's too bad there wasn't more attention paid on the parent psychology of children with diabetes. That's extremely important in my opinion. I also went to diabetic kids camp for 1 month intervals - it basically taught me about being as active as anyone can be without running a high risk of low blood sugars etc.

I'm much older now - 55 - still living life to its fullest like it's one big adventure. My daughter doesn't have diabetes - but she has a dangerous job in the Navy and is often in very risky situations - I used to worry my fool head off but have learned not too anymore because it wasn't doing me any good. I suspect your parents worry about you too much. So having said that, I would suggest you try to engage them in conversation and ask them how they feel about you having diabetes - a good starting point for discussing your need for greater independence.

Good luck - I think it's tough for parents too :)

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am 17 and have been diagnosed 5 months. However, this was a week before moving away to college. It has been hard for me and my parents, but we are getting used to it. There are wardens on site 24/7 so if there was an issue i just ring them. I also had a roommate until yesterday, but am getting another soon. Therefore i am not often on my own. There is also a registering card machine you have to swipe before 11pm and before 9:30am. If you dont they will come check you are alive in your room or ring you

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What about physical sports? My parents say that I cant do a lot of sport in long period of time because "you never know whats gonna happen then". I know that my body isnt well trained. I missed some stages of physical development and now I must train more. Its like studying in school- you dont learn, you dont get good grades and you have problems with understanding the subjects.
Sometimes I think that my parents consider me as physically weak person that I cant do lots of sport. The only explanation is "what if you collapse, what will happen then?". I have proved that I can control myself, my diabetes is well controlled and there hasng been any problem with it yet. But its better to stay in this " comfort zone" for them

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What about physical sports? My parents say that I cant do a lot of sport in long period of time because "you never know whats gonna happen then". I know that my body isnt well trained. I missed some stages of physical development and now I must train more. Its like studying in school- you dont learn, you dont get good grades and you have problems with understanding the subjects.
Sometimes I think that my parents consider me as physically weak person that I cant do lots of sport. ...
Maybe try some kind of outdoor activity where you will be with other people. The team sports I was involved in as a kid - the coaches always knew I had diabetes. Some sports I was good at and some I was not. Another thought, maybe get your parents involved with you in say hiking, swimming something you can do together.
I don't know anything about your situation so these are just ideas. But one thing you said about your "parents consider me a physically weak person that I can't do lots of sports" - I felt the same way as a kid because I had diabetes - and I ended up using that to prove people wrong (the funny thing is no one may have actually thought that but I thought they did).

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes I think that my parents consider me as physically weak person that I cant do lots of sport. The only explanation is "what if you collapse, what will happen then?". I have proved that I can control myself, my diabetes is well controlled and there hasng been any problem with it yet. But its better to stay in this " comfort zone" for them

I think that is due to your diabetes and not independence.

Maria Eftime

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, for diabetic persons and children to do sport is very good and keeps you healthy. It lowes your glycemi and it is again, very good for persons with diabet!!!