GTT help with interpretation

mahorela

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thanks guys. I'm certainly understanding things a lot better now and have increased optimism about controlling this, even if I haven't got the faintest idea (yet) about the root cause.

Yeah, not such a big spike, I only had around 40 grams of carbs as I really didn't want to kick myself out of ketosis. I wonder if I spiked higher in that 10 minute bracket, given the super quick reaction I could have gone a fair bit higher, probably not above "normal" parameters though.

@nosher8355 yeah, that pretty much sums it up, very tired as if I'd been in the gym for hours. Especially arms and upper body. I guess I'm lucky in a way, I already have a good understanding and routine with low carbing, it's no issue for me to transition back onto it and as of now I'm avoiding carbs like the plague.

Gotta do a doctor Kraft, 5 hour insulin test, really don't want to drink the poison Kool Aid again though.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I really loved the glucose the first OGTT, now it tastes like .............!! (Yuk!)
Poison it is!

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mahorela, I am new to all this too, hit me out of the blue or so I thought. I have a hyperthyroid condition and I have now managed to do a bit more research on this linked with RH. People who have hyperthyroidism basically burn everything including carbs up very, very quickly. On OGTT it shows the results as being stable/not increasing for the first couple of hours and then a massive dump which shoots you down into dangerously low blood sugar levels around the end of the 2nd hour. Mine got down to 1.6 at the test! Endo has confirmed this is the case for me personally so maybe (and I am not suggesting this may be the only answer as there are others much more expert in RH than me for sure) that you ask for a Thyroid function test asap. Some of your other symptoms of no energy are also pointing towards how I was until diagnosed and treated. It can be very serious if left especially for males so its probably best being on the safe side. Good luck!

mahorela

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Cheers, it's a possibility, I'll definitely do some more research on it.

I had my thyroid checked 12 months ago and all was well apparently. But like most things, I need to look into the testing methods further and double check everything...........sigh.

I don't mean to be negative to doctors, but you can take nothing for granted these days. You just can't say "I was tested and it was ok" as there seems to be variables and outdated testing procedures for everything. I had my serum b12 levels not so long ago, but not cellular, a waste of time.