Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

First of all I’d like to say this is my first post here and that I live in Belgium, which is why apologize in advance for any grammar or spelling mistakes.

I’ve been into this issue for a few weeks, but haven’t found anyone else that goes through the same problems with the Medtronic Guardian Connect.

I’ve been using the Guardian Connect for about a month now, and have gone through 7 different sensors due to issues. My doctor said it was ok for me to wear it on my arm, but I’m starting to think that’s what causing all of this.

The first one was great, I had no problems. The one after that I walked with into a door post, obviously the sensor can’t help that.

But the one after that asked me for calibration and then gave me a message about not being able to accept the calibration, to wash my hands and try to calibrate again in 15 minutes. I did, it wouldn’t accept again and told me the sensor was unusable, and that I’d have to get a new one.

This happened to me with two other sensors. I always wash my hands before testing my blood. I can tell the great differences between the sensor and my blood are causing this, but what is the use of being able to calibrate if the Guardian isn’t going to believe me?

Two other sensors stopped receiving data, and when I took them out I could see the sensor was bent.

I feel really bad about this because I have to keep calling Medtronic about these problems and they are very nice about it, and they keep insisting I haven’t done anything wrong and send me new ones, but it’s come to the point where I get afraid to calibrate in case it doesn’t work again.

At Medtronic, there was only one time out of five that someone told me they do not approve of the arm as a place to put the sensor and that that could be causing it. All the other ones never commented on that specific.

I’d really like to keep it on my arm, but obviously it’s not working and I’m willing to put it somewhere else if necessary. I was just wondering if someone here has experience with these problems, since I feel kinda alone with them and since it seems like nobody can help me with what I’ve been doing wrong, I wanted to see if someone here can speak from their own experience.

It would be really, really appreciated.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi everyone,...................

I’d really like to keep it on my arm, but obviously it’s not working and I’m willing to put it somewhere else if necessary. I was just wondering if someone here has experience with these problems, since I feel kinda alone with them and since it seems like nobody can help me with what I’ve been doing wrong, I wanted to see if someone here can speak from their own experience.

It would be really, really appreciated.

Welcome to the forums, seems like your first post is dropping off the unanswered post list so I'll give it a bump.

I know absolutely nothing about the Guardian Connect but here are some redirections to other discussions where 'guardian connect' has cropped up.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/medtronic-cgm.144077/#post-1764320

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/medtronic-guardian-connect-experiences.141917/

If you use the search bar (top right) you may find other references - good luck.

Joanna5

Hi everyone,

First of all I’d like to say this is my first post here and that I live in Belgium, which is why apologize in advance for any grammar or spelling mistakes.

I’ve been into this issue for a few weeks, but haven’t found anyone else that goes through the same problems with the Medtronic Guardian Connect.

I’ve been using the Guardian Connect for about a month now, and have gone through 7 different sensors due to issues. My doctor said it was ok for me to wear it on my arm, but I’m starting to think that’s what causing all of this.

The first one was great, I had no problems. The one after that I walked with into a door post, obviously the sensor can’t help that.

But the one after that asked me for calibration and then gave me a message about not being able to accept the calibration, to wash my hands and try to calibrate again in 15 minutes. I did, it wouldn’t accept again and told me the sensor was unusable, and that I’d have to get a new one.

This happened to me with two other sensors. I always wash my hands before testing my blood. I can tell the great differences between the sensor and my blood are causing this, but what is the use of being able to calibrate if the Guardian isn’t going to believe me?

Two other sensors stopped receiving data, and when I took them out I could see the sensor was bent.

I feel really bad about this because I have to keep calling Medtronic about these problems and they are very nice about it, and they keep insisting I haven’t done anything wrong and send me new ones, but it’s come to the point where I get afraid to calibrate in case it doesn’t work again.

At Medtronic, there was only one time out of five that someone told me they do not approve of the arm as a place to put the sensor and that that could be causing it. All the other ones never commented on that specific.

It would be really, really appreciated.[/QUOTE

Joanna5

Hi there I have just seen your post. I am from Belgium myself (dus ik spreek Nederlands ook )and started using medtronic three weeks ago. I have had 2 times problems with sensors already, once I had to remove sensor as iT was not getting any signals. I was lucky that I was just about to change it anyway (after 6 days). But when I put a new one it didn’t work either, there was no signal/ no communication. So in the end I put another one and finally it started working. I must say that the sensor which was useless was also bent. The problem which I am having right now is that last 2 days I am being asked to calibrate every 6 h , also during the night It is extremely exhausting as I cannot sleep 8 h in a row. No idea why it is happening.... Ps. I think you should try to put medtronic in your abdomen. It seems it is the best place. Maybe by any chance it Will work for you beter ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I’ve been using guardian connect for a long time now.

It should not go in the arm. Ideally in bum cheeks or stomach. I alternate my bum cheeks and generally get 11 days from each sensor.

You should not start sensor if your bloods are varying and going up / down. You need them to be pretty stagnant ideally,

The sensor should go to 12 hours calibration time on the 3rd calibration.

I put sensors only in my bum cheeks and don’t have any problems at all. I don’t sit on them. They are nearer to the side of cheeks than the seating area.

I love mine.

GavinTully

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I also use Guardian Connect. My first 2 sensors where on my stomach but having previously used the Libre system, I now only put the Guardian Connect sensors on my arms, about 5 so far with no issues.

I have noticed the app consumes a lot of battery life, but that’s another issue.