EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, so still deliberating between the tandem tslim x2 and dexcom and the minimed 780g with the guardian sensor G4

I think I marginally prefer the smartguard algorithm over the control-IQ but my sticking point (and I think it may be insurmountable ) is the G4 sensor
Just watched this video and am horrified

Firstly, how difficult is this to do on your own? I have small hands (short fingers) and am starting to get arthritis in my right hand). I have been using the dexcom g6 and g7 without issues.

Secondly, the video says you have to stop the old sensor first but it looks to me that you should be able to pre-insert a sensor to let it cook for a while and then add the transmitter later?

Feedback welcomed.

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been using the G3’s and more recently the G4’s for several years without any problems - following the instructions from my hospital team.

However, if I was to follow the Medtronic video demo I would struggle.

I never use wipes, but just plenty of soap and water to clean the insertion area and I certainly don’t use the gloves.

I always insert the sensor in the outer side of my upper arms which I find much more accessible.

I only ever use the first adhesive sticker as I find that is sufficient.

When the sensor is near the end of its 7 days you should remove it along with the transmitter. The transmitter will then take approximately 40 minutes to recharge and when it’s attached to the new sensor it will take 2 hours to warm up before an initial glucometer test calibration should be done.

Yes it’s a bit fiddly, but I managed to do this quite easily with a broken wrist for several weeks a few years ago.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OK, so still deliberating between the tandem tslim x2 and dexcom and the minimed 780g with the guardian sensor G4

I think I marginally prefer the smartguard algorithm over the control-IQ but my sticking point (and I think it may be insurmountable ) is the G4 sensor

Firstly, how difficult is this to do on your own? I have small hands (short fingers) and am starting to get arthritis in my right hand). I have been using the dexcom g6 and g7 without issues.

Secondly, the video says you have to stop the old sensor first but it looks to me that you should be able to pre-insert a sensor to let it cook for a while and then add the transmitter later?

Feedback welcomed.
I’ve been using the G3’s and more recently the G4’s for several years without any problems - following the instructions from my hospital team.

However, if I was to follow the Medtronic video demo I would struggle.

I never use wipes, but just plenty of soap and water to clean the insertion area and I certainly don’t use the gloves.

I always insert the sensor in the outer side of my upper arms which I find much more accessible.

I only ever use the first adhesive sticker as I find that is sufficient.

When the sensor is near the end of its 7 days you should remove it along with the transmitter. The transmitter will then take approximately 40 minutes to recharge and when it’s attached to the new sensor it will take 2 hours to warm up before an initial glucometer test calibration should be done.

Yes it’s a bit fiddly, but I managed to do this quite easily with a broken wrist for several weeks a few years ago.
The G4 and G3 sensors look exactly alike and my online friends tell me they are as well. The insertion is also the same. I have inserted the G3 sensors for 5 years without much issue. It does take practice, but i can do it with one hand pretty easily, even using my left non dominate hand to put it on my right arm. I can’t say if arthritis would impact it.

I do a few things differently when I change a sensor though. You certainly could insert a new sensor prior to removing the old one. I only use one Medtronic adhesive and the another brand adhesive patch over the transmitter. I do this, because I extend my sensors, which involves removing the transmitter, charging it, then reconnecting it to the existing sensor and starting it over. I can’t recommend that, but some people do it.

I also remove the second overlay on the adhesive while it’s still inside the Serter. That way you don’t have to tug on it to remove after it’s on your arm. If you remove it while in the Serter, it immediately attaches to your arm when you insert it. I saw a lady do it on a video online and it was a game changer.

I have Medtronic 780 and G4 in a box that just arrived. I have to get my training before I start using it.

Oh, I’ve heard the company is going to simplify the sensor insertion, but not sure when.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I looked at the same video and came to the same conclusion. Currently on a out of warranty 640g but get my new Tslim on the 20th. I could choose from a 780g, Omnipod 5 or Tslim. I hope I made the right decision!

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Feedback welcomed.
Morning EllieM

I have watched the video and like yourselve I do not find it helpful.

When I moved to a pump I selected a medtronic but found it very difficult to carry out a set change due to arthritis in my hands. On reflection what I should have done is asked to practice a set change before making my choice. Would it be possible for you get the opportunity to practice inserting a sensor Before making a final choice. Medtronic or your Diabetes
nurse maybe able to help your here

I have now moved to the Omnipod and find I can manage that ok.

Good luck with making your choice

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Diabetes nurse changed from using a Medtronic pump to a Tslim on renewal, and much prefers the Tslim pump and Dexcom sensors. She thought I'd struggle with changing the sensors for the Medtronic, as I've got arthritis and having watched various youtube videos I agreed.

Reactions: eventhorizon

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has any had an issue with the TSlim infusion? I’ve read about that for a good while. That’s one reason I steered away from Dexcom. Since, you have Tandem or Omnipod to choose from.

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also remove the second overlay on the adhesive while it’s still inside the Serter. That way you don’t have to tug on it to remove after it’s on your arm. If you remove it while in the Serter, it immediately attaches to your arm when you insert it. I saw a lady do it on a video online and it was a game changer.

Well I’ve just tried this and yes it really makes it easier. Great idea! Thanks

Reactions: Prancy

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I’ve just tried this and yes it really makes it easier. Great idea! Thanks
Yes! It does. I’m not sure why Medtronic doesn’t promote it. It makes it so much easier. That little glitch was the only thing that bothered me in the beginning with the CGM insertion.

Last edited:

Gillian P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The G4 and G3 sensors look exactly alike and my online friends tell me they are as well. The insertion is also the same. I have inserted the G3 sensors for 5 years without much issue. It does take practice, but i can do it with one hand pretty easily, even using my left non dominate hand to put it on my right arm. I can’t say if arthritis would impact it.

I do a few things differently when I change a sensor though. You certainly could insert a new sensor prior to removing the old one. I only use one Medtronic adhesive and the another brand adhesive patch over the transmitter. I do this, because I extend my sensors, which involves removing the transmitter, charging it, then reconnecting it to the existing sensor and starting it over. I can’t recommend that, but some people do it.

I have Medtronic 780 and G4 in a box that just arrived. I have to get my training before I start using it.

Oh, I’ve heard the company is going to simplify the sensor insertion, but not sure when.

Reactions: EllieM

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I looked at the same video and came to the same conclusion. Currently on a out of warranty 640g but get my new Tslim on the 20th. I could choose from a 780g, Omnipod 5 or Tslim. I hope I made the right decision!
I have tslim+dexcom, switched from Medtronic 640g...which I thought was a good pump but the sensors were horrible for me. Inaccurate and problems with the adhesive allergic reaction.

The only thing I'd say is the steel infusion sets on tslim are quite hard to grip the little wings when putting in. I have severe carpal tunnel....so I'm wondering how on early I'm going to change a set after I get the hand op when I'll be left handed for awhile The teflon ones were fine tho cos they came with the inserter.

Hope your new pump is good for you!

Reactions: EllieM