Guess I'm LADA...

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. I'm on insuline from about 10 days after being diagnosed as type 1, but I think my Pancreas still works. I'm doing so small amounts of insuline. 6u Lantus before bedtime and 2u fast insuline before dinner and my values are pretty good (70-140mg/dl). Sometimes eating carbs too. I'm not asking for a diagnosis since I have an appointment with my Doc on 2 June and I'm following his program, just want to know what you think about it.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @P17BULL ,

Small amounts of insulin have to be taken in context with what you're eating. Very low carb meals may not require much insulin.

But having a honeymoon period is quite normal when you start injecting insulin.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I tried pasta for lunch, 100 grams. No insuline. I was 70 before and 115 2h later. I thought to be much higher after such a meal. I'm still experimenting everything since these are my first days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, for LADA in particular that can come on slowly, the pancreas continues to decline following initial diagnosis. I've had to increase my Basal and Bolus ratio a bit over the years. The term 'honeymoon' period implies a short fixed term but I believe it is more likely to be linear curve downwards as the islet cells fade away.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Yes, for LADA in particular that can come on slowly, the pancreas continues to decline following initial diagnosis. I've had to increase my Basal and Bolus ratio a bit over the years. The term 'honeymoon' period implies a short fixed term but I believe it is more likely to be linear curve downwards as the islet cells fade away.

And how long does this process normally take? I know that anyone reacts differently, but are we talking about months, years, decades?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And how long does this process normally take? I know that anyone reacts differently, but are we talking about months, years, decades?

You've answered your own question. Everyone reacts differently and for some it may be months, others years, while others decades. There is no "Normal" when it comes to this sort of thing. However, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect it to last more than a year.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I avoided insulin because I was driving on a long trip. I even skipped Lantus the night before. My values were always under 150 mg/dl, and before dinner 92 mg/dl. By the way I noticed my C-Peptide was 1.03ng/ml in my last Blood Analysis from 2 weeks ago upon discovering (in Normal limits, but HbA1C was 8,8%). I think my diabetes is really a light form for the moment. I want tell my Doctor to try Metformin, and see it´s effectiveness on my body.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Final diagnosis: I am LADA! My doctor said I can avoid insulin for now. My BS have become normal with my low carb diet and I don't need to inject for the moment. Sometimes I can even eat carbs, my body can handle everything but it's a bit slower in lowering BS compared to non diabetics. I know someday I'll have to inject again, but for now that's great news! I hope this condition will last as long as possible.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You might consider keeping carbs low so your pancreas doesn't have to work so hard. You could preserve beta cells and possibly postpone insulin even longer.

Reactions: 2 people