Guessing my insulin doses

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Every day every meal I have is a guess I have no clue. Terrible I know I’m awaiting A dafne course but will be waiting a year at least. I need stable bloods. What’s a rough carb counting guide or what are people’s doses I know we all different .. just wondering how people perfect it . I’m 27 type 1 on nova rapid morning roughly 7-9 with 30g porridge, Lynch and dinner are always a guess and it’s between 12& 16 depending and lantus 25 units. I’m recovering from eye surgery and need stable bloods. Would love to know some of your daily foods and ratios. Thanks in advance

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My ratios are 1.5 units Novorapid to10g carbs in the morning, and then one unit per 10g the rest of the day - these were seduced in the DAFNE course I did about seven years ago.

I’m eating low carb (aiming for less than 30g a day) now, have been for about five weeks, but my ratios seem to be the same.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mine set me on roughly 1 in 10 you then twiggle it.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did you not get any information on how to use the Novorapid when you got it?
The leaflet I got said to use 1 unit for every 10g of carbs to start

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Every day every meal I have is a guess I have no clue. Terrible I know I’m awaiting A dafne course but will be waiting a year at least. I need stable bloods. What’s a rough carb counting guide or what are people’s doses I know we all different .. just wondering how people perfect it . I’m 27 type 1 on nova rapid morning roughly 7-9 with 30g porridge, Lynch and dinner are always a guess and it’s between 12& 16 depending and lantus 25 units. I’m recovering from eye surgery and need stable bloods. Would love to know some of your daily foods and ratios. Thanks in advance

It's trial and error, I figured it out on my own mostly when I got my pump years ago. It's still a lot of guessing and going with your gut instinct unless you eat very predictable meals and weigh every portion, which I don't. Make sure you do basal testing because if your basal dose isn't right there's no way you can carb count correctly. Start by eating something very predictable like a slice of bread. Remember your ratios may be different at different times of the day and depending on how strong your basal dose is at a given time of day. Also, it isn't consistent across foods at the different GIs of different foods mean they digest at different rates. It takes a lot of trial and error to figure it all out, and after 11 years I'm still working on it! It's more an art than a science too as they are so many factors out of your control that influence how insulin will absorb and food will digest at a given point in time. If you can get a CGM or Libre combined with a pump I highly recommend it. I make a million adjustments a day based on my CGM and taking small amounts of insulin or extending a dose over a period of time using my pump. I could not get the excellent control I have eating the things I do without these technologies, and I've never found carb counting to keep me in range well enough without making adjustments throughout the day.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there Sarah, I'm not an insulin user so can't offer you any personal wisdom, but I have seen others recommend the BERTIE Online course, which is an online carb counting course, from the folks at Bournemouth.

https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/home

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would love to be a 1 unit to 1 carb person. Each day is different, each meal different.
Dawn phenomenon and issues with Adrenalin caused by swimming/excitement/stress mean I take each day as it comes and act accordingly. As I am retired I can suit myself, so tend to eat a low carb breakfast and one meal a day at 2/3 ish, with absolutely no snacks. When on hols that all goes to pot and I don’t worry. As long as the majority of the time I am in range.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @sarahm723 ,

Personally? I would be looking at basal testing the Lantus first.. (I do Lantus & Novorapid.) link here. https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/
If the foundations of your house is dodgy? (Lantus, the long acting one.) The cracks in the walls will keep appearing & constantly need repair..

Then have a look at the insulin to carb ratio bit..

Hope this helps.!

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everybody ... basal etesting so test in middle of the night is that it ... I have surgery this morning in a lot of pain glad it’s over just want to move forward in control I find it so impossible to figure out I could eat same thing for a week and bloods different ... I find it impossible to find what’s right for me the only think I have to a tee is the 7 units with my 30g porrige it’s perfect for me the rest is a mess

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How often do you test your blood sugar? I figured out how much insulin I approximally needed for what foods pretty quick by testing right before eating and two hours after the first bite. If the second measurement is over like 2 mmols/l higher than the first I knew I needed more insulin for that meal and I used that knowledge next time I ate a meal like that. I still always test (or scan my libre) before and after meals to keep on top of it; my ratio's tend to shift over the weeks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How often do you test your blood sugar? I figured out how much insulin I approximally needed for what foods pretty quick by testing right before eating and two hours after the first bite. If the second measurement is over like 2 mmols/l higher than the first I knew I needed more insulin for that meal and I used that knowledge next time I ate a meal like that. I still always test (or scan my libre) before and after meals to keep on top of it; my ratio's tend to shift over the weeks.
My excuses, forgot to refresh the page and my computer had just been sitting there with pages loaded, so I didn't see the other reactions.
If you had an operation today, give yourself some time to recover. Those things mess with blood sugar, so don't worry too much about it for the next couple of days. Good recovery!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thanks everybody ... basal etesting so test in middle of the night is that it ... I have surgery this morning in a lot of pain glad it’s over just want to move forward in control I find it so impossible to figure out I could eat same thing for a week and bloods different ... I find it impossible to find what’s right for me the only think I have to a tee is the 7 units with my 30g porrige it’s perfect for me the rest is a mess
Change the porridge for an egg and so no bolus

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Really ? No carbs for break so no insulin ? Really that would scare me ? I’d be starving with just eggs though .. Is low carb always the best way to go
Thanks

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i do a 1-10 ratio while i am waiting to go on my dafne course in april if bgs go high i correct at next meal not in between i find this works for me :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Really ? No carbs for break so no insulin ? Really that would scare me ? I’d be starving with just eggs though .. Is low carb always the best way to go
Thanks
I switched to low carb about five weeks ago, and I’ve been astonished by how hungry I’m not. Before, I’d be constantly craving more food, half an hour after a porridge or some toast for breakfast I’d be wanting more food. Sandwich or some pasta for lunch and by mid afternoon I could eat a scabby cat. And as for the evening after dinner, I would be seriously eyeing up my (not) scabby cat - and scoffing whatever I could find. Just hungry all the time, even with big portions of food. And I was getting heavier, needing to take more insulin, and then feeding that.

Now... I’ll have an avocado with mayonnaise or three boiled eggs with a bit of cheese or butter for breakfast (assuming I’m actually hungry from the night before, I often miss breakfast because I’m not hungry and just have a coffee with some butter in), maybe some cheese, olives, nuts and a bit of salad for lunch, or a Lidl hi protein roll full of cheese. I like to cook, so I’ve been making low carb curries, stroganoff, Moroccan couscous (using cauliflower), all sorts of things. I can’t eat meat, so it’s a bit trickier for me, but you can fill your boots with bacon, steak, roast chicken... Portion sizes are much smaller, because the food is so much more filling. I’ve felt very little urge to snack, other than through habit, which I’m breaking now. While there are small an]mounts of carbs in the food I’m eating, ecause there is a lot of fat, they are absorbed so slowly that no insulin is needed. I can go a whole day without taking any Novorapid.

Lots of love for your surgery, I hope it goes ok and you recover quickly xxx

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Do you mean you have to guess carbs as the easiest way to remember is: (Some stuff i just remmeber like fruit)
1. Add carbs up it always says on the back of the packet of what your having how many carbs your having.
2. Divide by your carb ratio

For example at lunch i had:
1. Sandwhich= 12g of carb per slice, 2 slices so = 24g
2. Small Mandarin= 12g of carb
The filling in my sandwhich was tuna and mayo but there's hardly any carb in that so i don't include that So 24g+12= 36g of carb in total. So i divide by 7 because of my carb ratio for lunch so 36 divde by 7 is approxamitly 5 as 5*7= 35 and i didn't need to correct as blood was 6.3. So there for 5 units.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thanks
Low carb doesn't suit every one but I've never been a big fan of breakfast so I might not eat till lunch