Gullibility

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Um, no, another totally implausible thread

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

If I am guessing correctly about the improbable thread you are referring to, then my attitude towards it is that the circumstances it describes are so tragic that, whatever doubts I may have about its authenticity, I prefer to comment on it at the risk of being considered a fool than ignore it, and risk isolating further a man in desperate straights.

At the end of the day we can all hide behind the anonymity the medium offers, and claim to be whoever and whatever we wish. We do not really have a way to check. I guess some things have to be taken on faith.

Reactions: 4 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Gosh! Many thanks to everyone who commented so openly.
Now it's my turn to be open and honest.
I started this thread with an ulterior motive, but it appears the reason for it has been dealt with by someone else ( thank you!)
Having lived with a man who went through hell before he finally died of primary prostate and laryngeal cancer, I was becoming increasingly outraged by a certain thread ( you all know which one!) not only for its content which IMO was complete ****...eg morphine dose increased by 14 times original dose etc. but by the fact that it continued unchallenged and was allowed to continue for so long. Having started the thread, I took today.....fortunately out in sunshine....trying to decide what action to take. I didn't want to be banned, couldn't post on "that" thread using another name etc. What you see with me is very much what you get, unless it's a pic of my dog, and I don't like confrontation!
Imagine my relief to see it's sorted and even moreso to read all your comments posted in good faith.
Now....do I hit "post reply"

Reactions: 10 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did comment at the very beginning, looked in now and then, but after a few more posts looked at it less then not at all. There are many people who are open with their ailments to pass on knowledge, experience, empathy who are genuine. Don't think this was one of them, and is totally disrespecting those who so actually have serious complications/conditions.

Reactions: 11 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Yes there are lots of very genuine people around. Then you get the Trolls, the internets answer to con men/ women who get off on preying on people's good nature and emotions. Sick though they may be, they are inherently evil, not averse to using multiple persona with whom they interact! Their antics are almost laughable, but I would hope the mods are able to recognise and deal appropriately with them so we don't have to.

Reactions: 7 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After seeing very close family members suffer chemo, taking morphine, umpteen pills a day for close to 3 years, and seeing them in pain the last thing.in their mind would be posting on a forum let alone able too.

Reactions: 10 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh! Many thanks to everyone who commented so openly.
Now it's my turn to be open and honest.
I started this thread with an ulterior motive, but it appears the reason for it has been dealt with by someone else ( thank you!)
Having lived with a man who went through hell before he finally died of primary prostate and laryngeal cancer, I was becoming increasingly outraged by a certain thread ( you all know which one!) not only for its content which IMO was complete ****...eg morphine dose increased by 14 times original dose etc. but by the fact that it continued unchallenged and was allowed to continue for so long. Having started the thread, I took today.....fortunately out in sunshine....trying to decide what action to take. I didn't want to be banned, couldn't post on "that" thread using another name etc. What you see with me is very much what you get, unless it's a pic of my dog, and I don't like confrontation!
Imagine my relief to see it's sorted and even moreso to read all your comments posted in good faith.
Now....do I hit "post reply"

I think a lot of us were sitting back, reading it and thinking exactly the same things, but too worried about the repercussions if we voiced our opinion about what was going on in that thread. As I said earlier I am a natural cynic and from the beginning my doubts were there, but as more time passed I became more and more concerned about the level of manipulation going on.
I'd say more, because I have a lot more to say.... but it's a boat that I don't want to rock anymore than it already is.

Reactions: 11 people

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the begining I was sceptical of the thread because I didn't want it to be true. The idea of someone suffering like that. I know there are real people in situations like it but I found it hard to accept that diabetes could come to that. Then as the thread wore on it just sounded wrong. It is important to keep an upbeat attitude but the tone of the thread was just too chipper. I had no proof that it was a sham only a strong feeling and a lot of people had become emotionally invested in it. How exactly do you broach the subject? I did notice that a lot of very supportive and encouraging people on this forum had not posted on the thread which made me feel that there really was something wrong. Who wants to be the one to level an accusation like that? What if you're wrong? The fact that the OP has hightailed it seems very telling. I read an article about the behaviour some time back and some psychologists believe that it is a form of Munchausens. Whatever the root cause it is deeply disturbing that anyone would deliberately prey on the openness and kindness in others for ultimately very selfish ends.

Reactions: 8 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
In the begining I was sceptical of the thread because I didn't want it to be true. The idea of someone suffering like that. I know there are real people in situations like it but I found it hard to accept that diabetes could come to that. Then as the thread wore on it just sounded wrong. It is important to keep an upbeat attitude but the tone of the thread was just too chipper. I had no proof that it was a sham only a strong feeling and a lot of people had become emotionally invested in it. How exactly do you broach the subject? I did notice that a lot of very supportive and encouraging people on this forum had not posted on the thread which made me feel that there really was something wrong. Who wants to be the one to level an accusation like that? What if you're wrong? The fact that the OP has hightailed it seems very telling. I read an article about the behaviour some time back and some psychologists believe that it is a form of Munchausens. Whatever the root cause it is deeply disturbing that anyone would deliberately prey on the openness and kindness in others for ultimately very selfish ends.

Thanks....So much better than I could put it.

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Even though many of us felt the same behind the scenes-how could we voice our feelings openly without appearing to be cold hearted in the eyes of the community?
What a sorry state of affairs indeed! :(

Reactions: 9 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Indeed Paul, it is very sad but now we need to move on... I hate that phrase but can't think of a better one.

Reactions: 7 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Didn't want to raise concerns on it exactly for reasons put so eloquently by others. But, people seem to be allowed to post alot of what many may deem for themselves as false. Not the first and won't be the last. If too many posts start appearing which seem to be false to many, how many people will leave the forum? Trouble is no matter how many people think a post to be nonsense it can't be moderated as it "may" be true, however unlikely. for now I will just ignore them

Reactions: 9 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trouble is no matter how many people think a post to be nonsense it can't be moderated as it "may" be true, however unlikely. for now I will just ignore them

Exactly how I felt. Personally I find this type of thing utterly despicable and beneath contempt, I have my reasons but I'll be keeping them to myself.

Reactions: 6 people