Gum disease

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Clivethedrive : My initial one (after a year of faffing about at old docs) was 10.1 the I got it down to around 8 (can't remember exact figure :/ ) but that was through 1 hour daily exercise and next to no carbs :( it didn't allow for any life events to get in the way. My dad fell poorly and being in intensive care for 2 weeks i let my routine slip...then I struggle to regain control!! So now it's back up and actually worse 10.9 :(

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my hba1c results 10.9% :( My doctor can't see me until the 2nd Feb though :( dreading what she will say

Have you been struggling with your numbers or have you taken a break from the wagon? Have you ever been checked for late onset T1?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah. I see you clarified part of my questions.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I struggle every day :( I'm on 4 X gliclazide a day and not even a sniff of a hypo lol. I'm waking on anything between 14-18. My doc did suggest that I would be on insulin probably within 2 years anyway and did mention that I'm not a typical type 2. Ie normal weight, 34 and the fact that oral medication is not working does point to it but doubt she will test me for it. is that the GAD test in see people talk about?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggle every day :( I'm on 4 X gliclazide a day and not even a sniff of a hypo lol. I'm waking on anything between 14-18. My doc did suggest that I would be on insulin probably within 2 years anyway and did mention that I'm not a typical type 2. Ie normal weight, 34 and the fact that oral medication is not working does point to it but doubt she will test me for it. is that the GAD test in see people talk about?

I would ask her when you have your review. Even ignoring your dental issues, those numbers won't be doing you any good.

Merrylizard1314

Jaxx01,how horrid for you, I sympathise, because it is never good getting bad news from your dentist. Recently, I found a huge lump on my gum, growing down in between two teeth at the front. I was afraid it was cancer, and was a bit frightened. However when I could not bear the throbbing any more, I did go to the dentist. It turned out to be a hyperplasia,( and not a malignant cancer) caused by a high blood pressure pill called Amlodipine. Removal of the lump required surgery and a bit of jiggery-pokery to make it look as good as new, which it does now. The surgery took an hour, with local anaesthetic,and was uncomfortable but just bearable. I kept my eyes closed tight the whole time and went into what I call "endurance mode" even though there was a ceiling mounted TV with the cricket on. This is too much information, I know, and you are very young to be contemplating extraction but just to reassure you that if the worst happens and dietary changes fail, dentists are very skilled at renewing function.
Btw, my dentist recommends a toothpaste called Parodoxon and a mouthwash called Curasept which does not discolour teeth. Best of luck to you

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Catherine that's interesting. The dentist told me the cleaning on the NHS would be pointless and that its going to cost me £300 for the treatment I need. As a single mum to 2 little men there is no way I can afford that kind of money :( x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Catherine that's interesting. The dentist told me the cleaning on the NHS would be pointless and that its going to cost me £300 for the treatment I need. As a single mum to 2 little men there is no way I can afford that kind of money :( x

Do you live close to a large city, with a dental school you could be referred to? If you were treated by students, it'd be slow, but very thorough and very supervised.

Beezee

My dentist recommended a water pik to me. I can't remember the make, but it's electric and you fill the tank with corsodyl and squirt it between the teeth. It cleans the gum line and is really good! Plus the little brushes that you poke between.
My type 2 was undiagnosed for a long time and as a result I lost all my top teeth. I have implants now which certainly saves on the toothache and wobbly teeth! At first I was devastated, the end of the world etc. but now I love my perfect smile.