Gym Training Question

DarrenAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

I am new to the site so appologies if this is in the wrong area and if its long winded totally new to forums.

I have been a Diabetic for 10 years, and have always worked 12hr night shifts in Television News, so bad eating practices, stress and hot and miss eating ment stupid numbers was common.

Well last year I had a massive scare and nearly lost a toe, which i am very attatched too so I decided my health is priority.

I have done well and my levels are pretty solid with solid average of 6.0. I am also looking at undertaking a 1500 calories based eating plan using MyFitnss Pal.

I have so far lost 4 stone and looking to another 5 stone off. Trying to do 10,000 steps a day when work allows. But I am really struggling a little mentally with the exercise side of the getting healthy.

I am currently doing 20 lengths a day swimming (15m pool) and a 30 Minutes session on the bike in the Gym or just a 20 - 30 Minutes in the Gym at work during my lunch.

I want to up my game on cardio and weights but have been worried to push and really build a gym plan to up my cardio because of dipping to much which i have had happen 3 times.

Wondered if anyone might have any advice on pre and post workout ideas to help keep the balance my Blood levels during a work out.

Totally new to gym environment and at 44 haven't run since my 20's. I am about to get a gym induction and look to build a plan of action for my cardio to really burn this weight off.

Pre work out is an average give or take of 6.5

Any advice would be wonderful.

Thank you in advance.

Darren

Reactions: Bon83

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Are you on a pump or MDI?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi Guys,

I am new to the site so appologies if this is in the wrong area and if its long winded totally new to forums.

I have been a Diabetic for 10 years, and have always worked 12hr night shifts in Television News, so bad eating practices, stress and hot and miss eating ment stupid numbers was common.

Well last year I had a massive scare and nearly lost a toe, which i am very attatched too so I decided my health is priority.

I have done well and my levels are pretty solid with solid average of 6.0. I am also looking at undertaking a 1500 calories based eating plan using MyFitnss Pal.

I have so far lost 4 stone and looking to another 5 stone off. Trying to do 10,000 steps a day when work allows. But I am really struggling a little mentally with the exercise side of the getting healthy.

I am currently doing 20 lengths a day swimming (15m pool) and a 30 Minutes session on the bike in the Gym or just a 20 - 30 Minutes in the Gym at work during my lunch.

I want to up my game on cardio and weights but have been worried to push and really build a gym plan to up my cardio because of dipping to much which i have had happen 3 times.

Wondered if anyone might have any advice on pre and post workout ideas to help keep the balance my Blood levels during a work out.

Totally new to gym environment and at 44 haven't run since my 20's. I am about to get a gym induction and look to build a plan of action for my cardio to really burn this weight off.

Thank you in advance.

Darren
Hi @DarrenAli Well done on your transformation so far. I do a lot of exercise, but can only offer some broad advice due to your requirements. I would say generically try to make your exercise a natural part of your lifestyle, like brushing your teeth in the morning and evening.

I stay motivated by linking my wellness to my training and watching motivational videos. I would say get the basics right, such as warm ups, stretching. Work on form continuously. Enjoy your progress.

Reactions: Bon83 and DarrenAli

DarrenAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DarrenAli Well done on your transformation so far. I do a lot of exercise, but can only offer some broad advice due to your requirements. I would say generically try to make your exercise a natural part of your lifestyle, like brushing your teeth in the morning and evening.

I stay motivated by linking my wellness to my training and watching motivational videos. I would say get the basics right, such as warm ups, stretching. Work on form continuously. Enjoy your progress.
Thx

D

Deleted Account

I second the well done on your progress and encourage you to fit exercise into your daily regime such as cycling to work.
You are doing a lot so remember to give your muscles time to recover such as having a day off per week or varying your exercise each day.
Regarding the lows, some suggestions are
- consider interval training as this may increase your BG
- resistance training may increase your BG
- whilst doing cardio, add a small amount of squash to your water that you drink as you run/cycle/... Some people drink isotonic drinks and the like. I find squash is better because you can choose how dilute to drink it ... and it is cheaper.

Reactions: DarrenAli and Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

Thank you in advance.

Darren
Massive well done to you!! You seem super motivated at the moment so grasp the bull by both horns and get serious :) I started by reading the diabetic athlete book - ava Amazon. I ordered it after a bad hypo after a pilates class - which happened because I totally didn't understand how insulin worked with exercise. Exercise is a complex beast but some principles help - slow steady exercise such as a walk or super steady jog will drop bg. Stuff like high intensity or lifting heavy weights (low reps - tough weight) will cause less drop poss even rise. One good immediate tip is to exercise with low fast acting insulin in your system. So 3 - 4 hours after a fast acting injection. You will over time be able to play around with this because you do need insulin to deliver energy around your body. This is a explained in the book. Make the most of your gym induction- get plenty advice from the gym team on how to build muscle use weights etc. Embrace your awesome :)

DarrenAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Massive well done to you!! You seem super motivated at the moment so grasp the bull by both horns and get serious :) I started by reading the diabetic athlete book - ava Amazon. I ordered it after a bad hypo after a pilates class - which happened because I totally didn't understand how insulin worked with exercise. Exercise is a complex beast but some principles help - slow steady exercise such as a walk or super steady jog will drop bg. Stuff like high intensity or lifting heavy weights (low reps - tough weight) will cause less drop poss even rise. One good immediate tip is to exercise with low fast acting insulin in your system. So 3 - 4 hours after a fast acting injection. You will over time be able to play around with this because you do need insulin to deliver energy around your body. This is a explained in the book. Make the most of your gym induction- get plenty advice from the gym team on how to build muscle use weights etc. Embrace your awesome :)
Thank you I will take a peak. Yes taking a day off every few days.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
MDI gives a little less flexibility than a pump for exercise but you can try timing exercise so that you have no/little bolus in your system to avoid the lows if it is cardio or to top up after a resistance session to lower levels. There is a thread in the exercise section on managing insulin with exercise. Also sites like runsweet and diabetesstrong.com have tips.

DarrenAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I second the well done on your progress and encourage you to fit exercise into your daily regime such as cycling to work.
You are doing a lot so remember to give your muscles time to recover such as having a day off per week or varying your exercise each day.
Regarding the lows, some suggestions are
- consider interval training as this may increase your BG
- resistance training may increase your BG
- whilst doing cardio, add a small amount of squash to your water that you drink as you run/cycle/... Some people drink isotonic drinks and the like. I find squash is better because you can choose how dilute to drink it ... and it is cheaper.
Thanks unfortatly I work 100 miles from home so don't think that's a opportunity but thanks for the advice.