H R Meeting disappointing

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Earlier this month I had a one to one meeting in work in which one of the questions asked was ''do you have any concerns'' to which I replied, '' only my ability to carry out my duties if my health worsens '', fair play to my foreman he said he would arrange a meeting with HR to see if I could have an easier role ( I'm a plasterer ) should the need occur. This week I attended the meeting with HR and explained the situation and was left gobsmacked by the reply '' the company will want as much out of me as possible and in his opinion if my health worsens it's my own fault because of my lifestyle choices '' as you can imagine I was not a happy bunny and gave him an in-depth lesson on type 1 diabetes and told him that I've been type 1 for nearly 50 years so my lifestyle choices have been as good as they could have been, he did say he didn't know a lot about diabetes and would make a point of reading up on it. That's what you get for having a member of HR barely out of nappies with little life experience.

Reactions: 2 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done you...if you have his email address I would make a point of bombarding him with info...so he has no choice but to do some reading up. While I get your point in regards to the fact that he's obviously very young...I've dealt with HR folk in their 40's and 50's with no more clue...but to have the cheek to read you the riot act on your 'lifestyle choices' and THEN admit his lack of knowledge is very unfair. Hope you get it all sorted

Reactions: 7 people

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been reading this open-mouthed philchap. Your HR guy hasn’t a clue.

I was in exactly the same position just two weeks ago and, like you, have been type 1 for 50 years (I'm 63yo now). I was concerned about what lay ahead as I’m now getting much more tired, had also recently been diagnosed with Addisons, and my GP had already said that perhaps I need to have some adjustments made at work that might help. She also suggested asking them if I could reduce my working week to maybe four days or even three.

The HR lass I met with was superb. After I'd explained my concerns she pointed out that due to the diabetes alone, I had protection under the Equality Act and they would now bring in ‘reasonable adjustments’ to help me. I’m waiting to find out what they might be.

Might it be worth pointing your guy to that Act? To be frank I’d only heard of the Disability Act but I think it has maybe been superseded by the one she told me about.

Bill

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Simply confirms my rather low opinion of HR personnel generally (especially downunder) and children should be seen and never heard.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
does your employer have a HR dept or was he someone freelance, I would have expected occupational health should have been involved in a meeting if it was a medical issue being discussed, it sounds like he was out of his depth, if you have further meetings make sure you have an witness with you a fellow employee or union rep if you have one.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
'' the company will want as much out of me as possible and in his opinion if my health worsens it's my own fault because of my lifestyle choices ''
Perhaps a letter to the managing director might be order. Keep it polite when explaining your shock and disbelief at the attitude and ignorance of the HR person who is charge with overseeing your welfare at work.

Reactions: 3 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The problem was that he new nothing about type 1, but after my in-depth lesson he did seem interested in learning, I did ask to see occupational health which he agreed to arrange and I have an appointment the end of the month, to be fair I have seen other members of HR in the past just to find out how things were going and they were fine, it was just his lack of knowledge and assumption that it was self inflicted that got my goat.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd have been very annoyed too! Fair enough he didn't know much about Type 1 but then why make assumptions?

If it was me, I'd have considered putting a complaint in writing so there's a record of it. I had to complain to my employer once and putting my complaint in writing got a better response than informal talks. I also found mention of the DDA (as it was then) helped concentrate their minds.

I hope you get an apology.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Earlier this month I had a one to one meeting in work in which one of the questions asked was ''do you have any concerns'' to which I replied, '' only my ability to carry out my duties if my health worsens '', fair play to my foreman he said he would arrange a meeting with HR to see if I could have an easier role ( I'm a plasterer ) should the need occur. This week I attended the meeting with HR and explained the situation and was left gobsmacked by the reply '' the company will want as much out of me as possible and in his opinion if my health worsens it's my own fault because of my lifestyle choices '' as you can imagine I was not a happy bunny and gave him an in-depth lesson on type 1 diabetes and told him that I've been type 1 for nearly 50 years so my lifestyle choices have been as good as they could have been, he did say he didn't know a lot about diabetes and would make a point of reading up on it. That's what you get for having a member of HR barely out of nappies with little life experience.

I'm going to comment on this from a Managers viewpoint, not necessarily HR (I have no HR background, but have managed lots of people in my time).

Firstly, I don't think any business can really promise to do anything for anyone in the future, unless it is the very near future. What any business can do for an employee will be governed by law, influenced by the management regime at the time, and by the individual at the time "something" needs to be done.

Reasonable adjustments in a multi-national, successful business are likely to differ in their potential scale and potential generosity to those made by a very small business without too many resources. The legal requirements may change and also your ability to work and your attitude to work may change. I'm certainly not suggesting they would or will, but they could.

Had I been managing you, and you brought your query to me, my response would probably have been that I would be sure the fir would stand by their legal obligations, and that based on your efforts and quality of work remaining good, I would support changes for you, where possible. I doubt very much I would have set up anything with HR at this stage. HR don't know you (I assume), but here they have "some bloke" who wants to set up a cushy number for the future if he gets a bit knackered, due to a condition I really don't understand.

I know that last paragraph will smart a bit, and please be assured it's not my assessment of you, but it could be how some stranger brought into a meeting could start off.

In my view, any such meeting with HR would have involved significant preparation, with lots of data, summary sickness records, absence records, any existing adjustments, and a summary of the issues currently being experienced - all up front, so that the HR person is also forced to be prepared to discuss what you actually want to discuss, not be batted off with glib comments.

In my view, your current foreman, in his efforts to do the right thing, hasn't necessarily served you very well.

I do hope it's a very long time, if ever, before you have to ask for significant adjustments to be made to your working life. Undoubtedly, the very manual nature of your current role could make that quite tricky for them. What do they do with a plasterer who can't plaster, or who can't plaster above shoulder height or below hip height because his joints are going? Do you have other skills you could utilise in the workplace, should any of these things arise?

I might be thinking about that sort of thing; what else you have to bring to the party, so that if ever you need adjustments, you have something inaddition to offer your employer to make you a continuing attractive employee. That very sad fact of the matter is no employer has to keep someone on because they have a condition protected under law. If that person is unable to do the material duties of their role, and play a good part in the business, then an employment tribunal is unlikely to uphold any case for wrongful dismissal - unless they completely balls up the process - which isn't entirely unknown!

My advice would be to skill up and continue looking after yourself as well as you possibly can and do a little dance to the D-gods once in a while for good fortune and continuing health.

Sincere good luck with it all.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had dealings with HR quite regularly due to a cataract operation and to be honest I can't fault then, it was the '' down to your lifestyle '' remark that upset me, I have had a couple of small bleeds in my eye which is due to the scar tissue from previous laser treatment, my eye consultant said a vitrectomy would stop this happening but doesn't come without risks so wouldn't operate until necessary, I find when skimming large ceilings because of my head position causes a lot of eye movement, I wasn't looking for an easier role as diabetes has pushed me to being as good as anyone else, it's a regular occurrence to meet with HR who as I've said I can't fault, it was just down to one individuals lack of knowledge.