1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Had diabetes education today

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by woollygal, Oct 9, 2018.

1. woollygal

woollygal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So I made some fat bombs just now!!

Dear god they are sweet! All I did was lick a bit from my finger and eugh!! So think these will have to be eaten in tiny amounts and the amount of liquid sweetener reduced for future attempts.

It said 1tbsp of sweetner but may try 1/2!!

They are currently chilling in the freezer! I shall post pictures when finished!!

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

You really need to watch the sweetening of any recipe as they are normally worked on by people who are not used to the taste of unsweetened foods.
    I have found it best to mix up everything but the sweetener and taste, then decide if it even needs sweetening at all. If extra sweetness is required, only add the bare minimum. These days I find things such as beetroot or carrot are sweet.
    Hopefully the chilling will reduce the sweetness.

3. woollygal

It didn’t!!
    I had a nibble and eugh!! Sooo sickly!

I guess that’s kind of good though!
    Given the extent of my sugar addiction to find something that is too sweet is kind of good news! Bit of a pain in the bum though

Added orange flavouring and can hardly taste it over sweetner

4. Resurgam

Make another lot, and use a few of the first ones as the sweetening. The overly sweet ones can be gradually used up as they will keep for ages in the freezer.

5. woollygal

Oh you mean let them melt and mix them back in to original mixture just without the sweetner?

6. Resurgam

Exactly.
    I am assuming that there is a melt together part of the recipe, so rather than any sweetener just add a couple of the first batch last of all, and stir around until they melt. It might be easier if you take them out still frozen and grate them or chop finely before adding to the mixture.

7. woollygal

I had to melt the coconut oil but otherwise everything was just mix together. I could just heat them in sauce pan one at a time and use one at a time.

8. Resurgam

Just add to the melted coconut oil and stir in.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook