Hair loss - how much?

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Since being diagnosed a couple months ago, I've noticed consistent hair loss - every time I run my hand lightly through my hair, a few full hairs stick to it (I'm male, my hair is about an inch long).
The only exception is after shower, obviously all the loose hair has been washed out.
I had quite thick hair, but it's starting to be noticeably thinner when I look in the mirror.

I have no family history of hair loss, and am aware this is a symptom of diabetes (I'm type 1).
Further I've had complete medical tests recently - scans, blood, etc. Due to a recent critical hospitalisation, so another illness or deficiency can be ruled out .

I'm wondering.. does it continue to complete hair loss? Or does it stabilise?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I strongly doubt it but a lot of factors come into play.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @gavin86 The only experience I have of hair loss is an under-active thyroid, mine came out by the handful then, as the 2 auto-immune conditions are linked I would suggest booking an apt with your GP and having a blood test done to check, also to rule out any other factors too.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I lost tons of mine right before DX. It became quite thin and broke off all over. After starting insulin and get bs control it all came back. Even more than I wanted haha.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@gavin86 sorry to hear this. I lost a good deal of hair when I had severe thyroid issues. Thankfully it grew back once I'd stabilised. Presumably they checked your thyroid function though?

Reactions: Kristin251

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be a good idea to have your vitamin B12 levels checked. A B12 deficiency or an absorption problem with B12 is one of the causes of hair loss.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, thyroid (and every other thing) checked.
I have pernicious anemia due to apca, but I get b12 shots every month to keep my levels up.

Perhaps it will settle after a bit more time with my t1 under control...

I'm not really bothered if I go bald, just not sure what to expect.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app