Type 1 Hair loss

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had some hair loss last year (specifically at the temples) and my hairdresser said this could have been from diabetes. I asked the dr at the hospital last month and she said it shouldn’t cause hair loss but it was probably from stress (2019 was very stressful for me)
I was wondering if it’s ok/safe to take Nourkrin hair growth tablets if you’re taking insulin? I don’t want to bother the diabetic nurse/team at the hospital (with all the Coronavirus worries) at the moment as this seems a shallow question!
I wrote to the brand to ask but they can’t confirm if it’s safe either way, the tablets ingredients are -
Fish extract
Acerola cherry extract
Silica
Horsetail extract
D-biotin

Has anyone had any experience taking these tablets?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Is there any clinical evidence that these tablets actually work? If there isn't then I would not take them particularly as the manufacturers cannot guarantee safety.
One cause of hair loss is iron deficiency and there have been other causes discussed in threads on this forum. By the way, I don't think you are 'shallow' in wishing to deal this as hair loss can be a useful indicator of treatable deficiencies.

Reactions: ziggy_w and JMoli

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, my iron levels are good - I think the hair loss is probably stress related. The tablets have really good reviews, I’ll maybe wait until my next appointment until I decide to go ahead with them

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hmmmm hair growth tablets......they will more than likely cost a small fortune and probably will not work.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JMoli - Hair loss can be one of our body's protection mechanisms. We don't need hair to live, so if the body needs to fight to keep us healthy, or more likely prevent us getting any more unhealthy, it can stop producing hair.

I know if I am ill, I have a couple of patches I always as my OH to check for me. A number of years ago, when very ill, I developed a couple of modestly sized (but still distressing) bald patches. Thankfully, they were in a place not noticeable on a day-to-day basis.

The hair grew back just fine and has never disappeared again, but I do admit I'm still a bit paranoid about it - especially when I was shedding some hair, generally, as a symptom of my thyroid gland losing any plot it ever knew.

My suggestion would be to get and stay nice and healthy, and keep your nutrients well topped up, and try to manage any residual stress you might be feeling. All overy easy to say, of course. I do realise that.

It takes a while for hair growth to be noticeable, unless you have specific bald patches, but it happens, and one day you'll likely realise your hair is thicker again.

Hair grows, on average at about half an inch a month (mine grows noticeably fast in summer than winter), so give it time.

Reactions: JMoli

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I have had a look at the website. This has the kind of glossy, authentic sounding hype that advertising agencies produce. They say that 56 scientific studies are involved but do not provide any links or direct quotations.
The lack of safety advice is worrying. The ingredients clearly suggest that this is regarded as a food supplement only. There is one product on the market that is suitable for women (but not over 65 years). It is nonpresciption at a lower strength but prescription only at higher strength. This has been shown to have clinical success in many cases but like all drugs it does have side effects.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @JMoli I've also experienced hair loss and had 2 times where i've shed alot of hair, so handfuls, which was really worrying, I also tried some hair thickening products but these had no impact, unfortunately companies will capitalise on this and we are willing to spend alot of money, it's really not worth taking anything unless you're deficient. A friend told me once that we do naturally shed hair during the year so can experience times where we lose more hair than normal, it does come back, just try and limit your stress if you're able to and take care of yourself, up to you if you still want to take something for it, but doesn't look an issue with insulin otherwise it would carry a warning.

Reactions: JMoli

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Because I can't be bothered getting off the sofa and in the interests of research I have just watched a 25 minute TV documentary called Nourkrin / TV Documentary. This turns out to be about the physical and psychological aspects of hair loss in women. Nourkrin have cunningly run a banner across at the beginning (possibly illegally). This tells me a great deal about this company and the way they are willing to play upon women's fears over hair loss.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Because I can't be bothered getting off the sofa and in the interests of research I have just watched a 25 minute TV documentary called Nourkrin / TV Documentary. This turns out to be about the physical and psychological aspects of hair loss in women. Nourkrin have cunningly run a banner across at the beginning (possibly illegally). This tells me a great deal about this company and the way they are willing to play upon women's fears over hair loss.

Thanks, yes I imagine they will be doing that. I’ll maybe reassess how my hair is looking in a few months - I’m perimenopausal (as well as having been stressed) so that’s maybe causing issues too

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @JMoli I've also experienced hair loss and had 2 times where i've shed alot of hair, so handfuls, which was really worrying, I also tried some hair thickening products but these had no impact, unfortunately companies will capitalise on this and we are willing to spend alot of money, it's really not worth taking anything unless you're deficient. A friend told me once that we do naturally shed hair during the year so can experience times where we lose more hair than normal, it does come back, just try and limit your stress if you're able to and take care of yourself, up to you if you still want to take something for it, but doesn't look an issue with insulin otherwise it would carry a warning.

Thanks, there’s a triangle of no hair on either side, hoping to see baby hair emerge. It just seems to be at the front so far and hopefully now that I’ve got a few stresses out of the way and started meditating it should get better. Might be hormonal too (peri menopause, the joys!)
Handfuls sounds stressful - sounds like it grew back though for you which is great x

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@JMoli - Hair loss can be one of our body's protection mechanisms. We don't need hair to live, so if the body needs to fight to keep us healthy, or more likely prevent us getting any more unhealthy, it can stop producing hair.

I know if I am ill, I have a couple of patches I always as my OH to check for me. A number of years ago, when very ill, I developed a couple of modestly sized (but still distressing) bald patches. Thankfully, they were in a place not noticeable on a day-to-day basis.

The hair grew back just fine and has never disappeared again, but I do admit I'm still a bit paranoid about it - especially when I was shedding some hair, generally, as a symptom of my thyroid gland losing any plot it ever knew.

My suggestion would be to get and stay nice and healthy, and keep your nutrients well topped up, and try to manage any residual stress you might be feeling. All overy easy to say, of course. I do realise that.

It takes a while for hair growth to be noticeable, unless you have specific bald patches, but it happens, and one day you'll likely realise your hair is thicker again.

Hair grows, on average at about half an inch a month (mine grows noticeably fast in summer than winter), so give it time.

Thanks, fingers crossed that my horrible stressful life patch has passed it will grow back. I realised a few months ago that it was looking thinner but with everything else happening didn’t really notice that there were two bald patches at either side. Eating super healthily (much more now with the diabetes diagnosis) and meditating x

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2 and about 6 months or so after diagnosis my hair thinned a lot, I noticed my ponytal needed an extra loop of the elastic tie. On the advice of my hairdresser I used Nioxin shampoo and conditioner for several months and it really helped. Smells great, there are three types and cheapest on amazon or TK Maxx has it sometimes.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
T1 diabetic and have alopecia well in bits lol , I shave my head anyways but one of my eyebrows has decided to become almost non existant,if I try to grow a goatee I have a bald patch plus the hair which wa once on my belly is now down the plug hole of the bath. I don’t mind just that the hair on my head grows like billyo resulting in me having to shave it every other day.
Went to docs he told me I had alopecia , he said I have one auto immune disease so not surprise I have another , I just wish that if I was going to get it I’d get it all over not just in bits and bobs ,,, ps I don’t do hair btw just as well eh lol

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @JMoli this is exactly where I lost mine too, yes fortunately ok now, I’d give it some time first before buying product, hopefully it will come back soon for you x

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also experienced quite noticeable hair loss when I was diagnosed 3-4 years ago. I’m pretty certain it related to weight loss and not getting sufficient nutrition. Once my weight is back normal the hair loss problem went away completely.

Reactions: DCUKMod