Hair loss

puxy

Hi, lam experiencing severe hair loss. Is this because of diebets or something else. I have tried everything but my hair keep on coming off. I asked the Doctor if there is a problem with me or its because of the medication iam taking but he didn't tell me anything. Iam new on this forum and I don't know if this has been discussed before.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome,

Have your levels been running high recently as when mine were my hair seemed to come out a lot when I washed it. Now I'm back to more reasonable levels it has gradually settled down and is back to normal.

HTH

Angie

puxy

Thanks angie g, my last 2 checks were ok, and the Doctor was happy about it but still I experience hair loss and it's really bad I end up wearing a wig. I used to have nice big hair but it's gone. Don't know what to do

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Hi Puxy, welcome to the forum. I have had severe hair loss for a couple of years, only diagnosed 2 weeks ago T2.( although gp says my bs has been over 7 for past 2 years.) It was put down to stress, emotions ( partner had a stroke last april) so many reasons. I have tried all the shampoos that help with strengthing your hair, conditioners too. I spend a small fortune on my hair. I've never used serums or hair sprays. very rarely use a hair dryer, always let my hair dry naturally. my hair was very long. I decided last week to get the most of it cut off. thought it might help, but no it still comes out.
The plug hole in bath is always clogged with hair. I have to use drain unblocker twice a week at least.

I'm sorry I have no reasonable answer for you, just thought I'd let you know you're not alone.
I hope you find some answers soon
vonbon1 :wave:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the same problems.It was quite severe and Im not sure what caused the hair loss. Maybe its diabetes or stress . I started taking iron supplement and it stopped completely. It was quite scary I thought I would go bald :(

mandydowns

Hi

I have suffered bad hair loss too. Tried most over the counter remedies but found that a good multi vitamin with iron has really helped. Might be worth a try?

Know how distressing this is, especially for ladies, although it is not nice experience for anyone to go through.x

puxy

Thank you so much guys I feel a bit better that iam not alone.... Will try the multivitamin with iron may be it will help. Thanks once again

candiloo

Hi - when I had not yet been diagnosed, my levels were really high - I had all the symptoms, thrush, thirst, hair falling out in handfuls, really hair everywhere else, eyelashes so long I couldn't put my glasses on, and my eyesight was poor. My levels was 28 when I went to the hospital directly from seeing a triage nurse at the doctor's for something else as it happens. As soon as my levels started to come down, my hair grew back. Now I know that this is a sign of high levels without even doing a test and it tends to happen if I am poorly.

volaer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't like pricking...
It maybe a high sugar levels, but often times it is a completely separate problem. Maybe on the shampoo that you are using. I suggest you use shampoo every other day only and not everyday.

Laubie

Hi Puxy and welcome!

I have suffered for a few years with hair loss, but it seems to be ok at the moment!

I have very fine hair naturally, so I don't have much to lose in the first place...

It first started about two years ago. I am also treated for an underactive thyroid with thyroxine (a common problem amongst diabetics) and it all starte dhappening when they raised my thyroxine dose. I am slightly under-treated on 150mcg daily so the dose was put up to 175mcg daily (the next dose up).
Over the next couple of months my hair loss was significant enough for family members to notice. I was informed, but I went into denial.
It struck me one day, about three months after the dose change and I became deeply depressed as this was 6 months before I was due to get married! The stress didn't help...
I had just had blood tests with my GP and a couple of days after noticing the hair loss myself my GP rang to tell me to drop my thyroxine dose back to 150mcg as I was now being over-treated. I asked him whether this increased dose could cause hair loss and he told me that it could.
I immediately went back to the lower dose, but still petrified I looked into all the causes.

I spoke at length with my consultant diabetes doctor and she seemed to think that my thyroxine dose would have nothing to do with it. i had tests done for anaemia (another common cause of hair loss in women) and various other tests that all came back normal.
I was having the progesterone contraception injection at the time and advised to stop it as this too can cause hair loss.

Well in about 3 months I noticed that my hair started growing back. I was lucky as my hair had grown back enough by the time my wedding came round for me to wear hair extensions.
Now the reason behind my hair loss has never been pin-pointed. It could well have been emotional stress with the wedding; it could have been the progesterone injections I was on; it could have been the thyroxine dose; or perhaps it was diabetes related?
After researching extensively, I can honestly say that the most likely explanation was the thyroxine dose. Levels of thyroxine in the body, whether too high or too low (so those with both hyperactive AND hypoactive thyroids should take note!) can cause hair loss.
I do believe my own hair loss was a combination of all the above factors, but that the thyroxine dose was the main culprit.

Nowhere in my research have I been able to find a direct link to hair loss and diabetes. Medications such as metformin can contribute, as well as treatments for diabetes-related and other endocrinological conditions.

The best thing you can do is make sure you get your thyroxine levels checked out. Write down all the medications you are taking, go and see your GP and get some blood tests done to try and find the root cause.
Genetic female balding can occur, unfortunately, and no one yet knows the cause. But it is rare (compared with males, who commonly suffer with genetic balding) and you should not ruel out other causes quite yet!

I also found taking sea kelp supplements helped somewhat - they are a good natural source of iodine, which is an essential chemical for healthy metabollisms.

I really hope you are able to get to the bottom of your problem and I offer you all the best in the world - I know how horrible it is to suffer from hair loss and it is really horrible. You are not alone!
xxx

dia21

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Multiple Iron pills must helps you to reduce Hair fall in Diabetes disease.