1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Half units

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by conniecar, Dec 15, 2021.

1. conniecar

conniecar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all

I’ve been given a new pen ( Echo ) and a new insulin ( Fiasp ). It has half units…. After 47 years I’m embarrassed to say I wouldn’t know how to work that out? I use a glucose monitor to calculate my bolus’s and it’s never come up with a half? I’ve a Libre too but obviously there’s no dose advise. Would using the blood meter’s advice not be accurate if I started adding random halves? Rubbish at maths

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You don't have to use half units - you can use full units if that is what you are used to and it allows you to manage your diabetes.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If your current doses are working why worry about the halves? I think your bolus calculator is rounding up or down to avoid any confusion.
    For adults, unless you are really tiny, you are going to be fine with whole units normally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MommaE

MommaE Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you do want to consider the half units the Libre 2 reader does have a setting for it although set up for it is one of those only accessible with a health professionals access code. The diabetes clinic was able to set mine up very quickly and easily working with me via telephone.

5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Librelink with my Samsung S8 accepts half-units and I used that this morning

6. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Try when asked to input code CAA1C works with mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook