JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My father was like that not Irish but drank a lot and smoked 60 a day. He died at 46 years of age of some thing totally unrelated
Racism that is a black doctor and a white doctor who despised each other on grounds of race and there fore could not agree about what was wrong until it was too late.

My FIL smoked most his adult life he died of an unrelated illness as did my MIL who also smoked most of her life

Chris Thailand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry. I'm an unreconstituted smoker. I enjoy every single cigarette I smoke. I live in a country where I can smoke as I please, and I do. I know it's bad for me but, hey, I knew the kebabs and chips were bad too.
As vices go, I could be doing a LOT worse.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Errr Thailand has banned smoking in public areas like cinemas, shops, restaurants and bars. Though it is not always enforced.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
He drinks huge amounts, and now retired that is virtually his whole life, and smokes like the proverbial trooper.
I remember saying to my wife that he can't be long for this World the way he drinks and smokes and she replied "he's been low carbing all his life, he'll probably outlive us all"

There's always one. LOL Long may he continue to "get away with it".

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Errr Thailand has banned smoking in public areas like cinemas, shops, restaurants and bars. Though it is not always enforced.
A relative of mine has just passed away, he had emphysema. Never smoked in his life, it was secondary smoke from his wife who was allowed to smoke in the house.
So it isn't just bad for the smoker, people who they inconsiderately inflict their habit upon also suffer.

Reactions: 2 people

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A relative of mine has just passed away, he had emphysema. Never smoked in his life, it was secondary smoke from his wife who was allowed to smoke in the house.
So it isn't just bad for the smoker, people who they inconsiderately inflict their habit upon also suffer.

I've lost three family members to lung cancer caused by working with or living with smokers. Clearly my family just have to look at a cigarette and get cancer!

It's the effects of passive smoking on those around smokers that really get on my nerves...if people are gonna do it I wish they'd sod off somewhere me and others aren't exposed rather than sidling up to me at bus stops etc!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I smoke as its all I have left ...do I care... Nope ...as we all going to die one day ...am just not going out without some libation lol

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I smoke as its all I have left ...do I care... Nope ...as we all going to die one day ...am just not going out without some libation lol

Please don't give up. Did you even try giving up smoking for once? You never know until you try at least a few times. I refuse to believe anyone who does not care as life is so very precious, and don't give up so easily.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
@Heretic1 For me, I smoke probably ten fags when I go to the pub every two or three weeks. I have been low carb for the past 15 months and am at a healthy weight. I go to the gym three times a week and at the weekends ride a motorcycle at 150mph (risk?) if on a track. The point your missing is the point to life itself stepping outside of yourself for a moment you might consider that for some life is about mitigating the risk of death not absolutely removing the risk of death. Hence we control what we can/ want and ignore/ mitigate the rest. Now i'm of to the pub on the bike for a pint and a fag!!!!!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK folks. I appreciate this post may draw fire, and I may even get removed or banned, and have thought long and hard before posting it - bit feel I now need to.

I have frequented this forum for a little over 3 months and in that time have been quite amazed at some of the lengths folks will go to, and the results 'residents' achieve.I am not a committed 'LCHFer' nor a 'tester' but totally respect those that feel it right for them. I see many posters who are (possibly quite rightly) fixated on achieving the holy grail of the lowest possible hba1c and Daily BS levels, and making many ongoing and daily dietry sacrifices to achieve levels even 'normal' people would be very pleased with, and completely and utterly respect that stance ..... and before you all start throwing things at me for my flippacy, I FULLY understand that this does need to be taken seriously and of the possible complications quite rightly rammed into us!
However ..... What I find unbelievable is that that despite taking, monitoring, measuring, comparing and going to great lengths to get BS as lowwww as possible ....here goes ..... some people here I know continue to smoke!!!!
Now I declare my hand here in that I am an ex smoker of some 8 years standing (long before I was 'labelled') so yes I do know what it is like to stop and how hard that was, BUT I recognised the need to protect my health going forward before any of this (OMG if only I had changed other habits too!). I think we all fully understand the MASSIVE health risks of smoking even for 'normal' people and that the biggest single contribution ANYONE can make to their health is to stop smoking! ..... and that is before you add in the even BIGGER risks 'we' run. When I was 'labelled' the very first question I was asked was did I smoke!
Now I have seen posters talk about the need to test, the 'dangers of evil carbs etc etc ..... Yet they continue to smoke...
I have seen posters give up fruit because they are toooo carb heavy ..... Yet they continue to smoke
I have see posters clearly state the need to test because of the damage 'spiking' may cause ..... Yet they continue to smoke!
Again perhaps being a little flippant if you give me choice between a cigarette and a baked potato .... I think I know which one is the safest!
As outlined earlier, I gave up the weed over 8 years ago - and it was difficult, BUT I have found accepting 'it' and my new found fate and potential deprivations I must now make10 times worse than that was. So I do find it hard to believe that some people who take the management of their condition soooo seriously can continue to do this???
I end with perhaps another flippant remark - I understand in here there are many who deride / mistrust and ignore the guidance and advice of HCPs in the pursuit of lower BS levels - is the advice they give about smoking also wrong!!!!
Thoughts?
Hey @Heretic1
How's about this... I put on about 4 stone when I stopped smoking.. I think that probably is what gave me Type 2 diabetes.. maybe you giving up was what pushed you over too... Ever considered that?

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I can see both sides of the story. I quit cigarettes in April and took up vaping instead. Then the diabetes diagnosis came in August. And yes, one of the first questions was "do you smoke?" and I was glad that I didn't (did not fess up to the vaping though!) because I knew that would have become another stick to beat me with.

I now want to be as healthy as I can; I can't do any more than that. I have changed my way of eating (love it!), take more exercise (ditto), cut down on alcohol (I'd been drinking less as I've got older anyway, so it was no great hardship). But there is NO WAY I am stopping vaping because I know I'll be back on the fags in no time. Vaping is the lesser of the two evils in my book, but I understand completely why some diabetics still smoke.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Well I too put on weight when I stopped .... and so yes there is an arguement which may suggest it may be contributory.

Based upon the degree of hostility received I chose to say nothing more on the issue ... clearly debate is not encouraged here. However based upon some responses I wouldn't be in the least bit suprised if continued smoking was seen as a credible method of weight reduction!

To quote someone ' nuff said'

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
@bulkbiker and Heretic1 - you've both got me thinking... yep, I put on even more weight when I quit smoking (was classified as 'obese' even before that) and a few months later, hey presto, diabetes!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The biggest problem for diabetic smokers is that the most common side effect of smoking is cardio-vascular disease, as it is in diabetes, and I guess you would be doing far more than doubling your risk. My mother, a lifelong heavy smoker who simply could not stop died a horrible death, first she got intermittent claudication and was seriously immobile for about 10 years, eventually she went into renal failure because of narrowing of her renal arteries. I was already a non smoker, having given up before I got pregnant, but having watched my mother's steady decline I became a committed anti-smoker. So, just as diabetics can choose not to manage their blood glucose and insulin levels (in the case of Insulin Resistant T2s) so they can also choose to smoke, but the risks are huge.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D
Well I too put on weight when I stopped .... and so yes there is an arguement which may suggest it may be contributory.

Based upon the degree of hostility received I chose to say nothing more on the issue ... clearly debate is not encouraged here. However based upon some responses I wouldn't be in the least bit suprised if continued smoking was seen as a credible method of weight reduction!

To quote someone ' nuff said'

Disagree.. debate is actively encouraged here.. however you have this unfortunate habit of setting yourself as a "victim" with almost everything you write which to be honest is a little wearing. I don't think you received any hostility just people disagreeing with your viewpoint. Surely that's what debate is?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do smoke. I also take steroids I have just come of metformin.

Steroids drive your apatite and weight up.
Smoking suppresses the apatite
metformin also suppresses apatite

I need to control my weight

I stopped smoking a while ago my weight started to go up so now I smoke four to five cigarettes per day this maintains a balance for me when able to without destabilizing my situation I will give up all together..

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do smoke. I also take steroids I have just come of metformin.

Steroids drive your apatite and weight up.
Smoking suppresses the apatite
metformin also suppresses apatite

I need to control my weight

I stopped smoking a while ago my weight started to go up so now I smoke four to five cigarettes per day this maintains a balance for me when able to without destabilizing my situation I will give up all together..
Hi, you might want to look into vaping. It is a good way to give up cigarettes quickly without gaining weight. You can gradually reduce nicotine until you are at 0. You would probably want to start at a low amount anyways as you don't smoke very much. Just an option.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have a a vape does not have the same effect when just using vape weight went up now back down I do vape but have the odd cigarette to keep things in balance do remember I have a constant battle with the side effects of preds and no prospect of ever being able to stop taking them and I no longer have metformin swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a a vape does not have the same effect when just using vape weight went up now back down I do vape but have the odd cigarette to keep things in balance do remember I have a constant battle with the side effects of preds and no prospect of ever being able to stop taking them and I no longer have metformin swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts.
Prednisone? If so you do have a battle to fight. I have been on it for asthma and I hated it but we have to do what we have to do. Good luck :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen