Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Study: Metformin Linked to Higher Risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
AdobeStock_80738791-640x500.jpeg

Photo by Adobe Stock Photos
By Sysy Morales
April 4th, 2017

From Diabetic Daily

A recent study found that the use of metformin in people with diabetes increased their risk for developing dementia and Parkinson’s Disease.

This may be surprising as not too long ago, we reported on a different study which found the opposite–that using metformin might lower the risk for dementia in older men.

The study from Taiwanese researchers was presented on March 29, 2017 at The 13th International Conference on Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Diseases in Vienna Austria by Dr. Yi-Chun Kuan from the Shuang Ho Hospital, Taipei Medical University, New Taipei City, Taiwan.

The researchers found that long-term use of metformin may raise the risk of neurodegenerative disease in those with type 2 diabetes.

How Harmful Might Metformin Be to the Brain?
As reported by Medscape Medical News, Yi-Chun Kuan and team conducted a cohort study to follow a total 9,300 patients with type 2 diabetes in Taiwan for up to 12 years. They checked records for these patients from the National Health research database of Taiwan including 4,651 who had metformin prescriptions and 4651 matched controls who didn’t take any metformin.

Dr. Kuan told Medscape they adjusted for age, sex, and diabetes severity and that despite this, “the cumulative incidences of Parkinson’s and dementia were significantly higher for our metformin cohort” at 12 years.

In fact, the risk for Parkinson’s disease or Alzheimer’s dementia went up over 50 percent during a 12 year period in those who took metformin when compared to those who did not. Researchers also found that “outcome risks increased progressively with higher dosage and longer duration of treatment.”

Dr. Yi-Chun Kuan said, “We’d heard about a possible protective effect from metformin. However, we found the reverse,” and she added that large-scale, prospective studies would need to be done in other countries to get clarification of the results.

Another detail the researchers noted was that outcomes increased the longer a patient was on metformin and the higher the metformin dose they took, “especially with use for more than 300 days and doses greater than 240 g.”

A limitation of the study was that the patients on metformin might also be taking other diabetes drugs like insulin or sulfonylureas and Dr. Kuan said that she and her team would like to follow up on these other possible associations.

There was also no word on what the patient’s HbA1c levels were to help indicate the state of diabetes management nor an explanation on how factors were controlled for, as medical consultant, Dr. Larry Ereshefsky told Medscape.

Could a B12 Deficiency Have Anything to Do With It?
Recently, metformin has been shown to possibly cause B12 deficiency, particularly in those who take it longterm. One of the side effects of a B12 deficiency is neuropathy, or nerve damage.

A serious B12 deficiency has been known to also cause side effects like cognitive difficulties such as memory loss.

While this study still needs a follow-up, if you are concerned about metforminor your B12 levels, talk to your health care provider who can provide testing and if needed, guidance on how to get your B12 levels up.

Reactions: kokhongw

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have reduced my Metformin daily from 2x500 to 1x500 and also started taking B12 vitamins after I noticed pins and needles sensation in my hands. My goal is to stop taking Metformin once my HbA1C levels get below 48.

I also started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid and eating walnuts (source of Omega 3) as I was recently experiencing some "brain fog" and memory loss. I was a bit surprised at that because my blood sugars have reduced dramatically since diagnosis with type 2, but if Metformin could be involved in brain fog then that could be an explanation.

Reactions: Thyroiddiabetic

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have reduced my Metformin daily from 2x500 to 1x500 and also started taking B12 vitamins after I noticed pins and needles sensation in my hands. My goal is to stop taking Metformin once my HbA1C levels get below 48.

I also started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid and eating walnuts (source of Omega 3) as I was recently experiencing some "brain fog" and memory loss. I was a bit surprised at that because my blood sugars have reduced dramatically since diagnosis with type 2, but if Metformin could be involved in brain fog then that could be an explanation.
I hope it's not true.I have pins and needles in my big toe.Not sure what to do now.Something has been wiping out my brain.And I mean really killing it.But I'm very sensitive to caffeine and take thyroid tabs goto get to the bottom of this now I thought it prevented these conditions.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder how many years it takes it might take. I have been on metf . for 20 years

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm taking 2100 Metformin and no brain fog
Taking 2000+ Metformin a day is quite a high dose. I read that Metformin reduces HbA1C by 1% for 1000 and 1.25% for 2000, so taking anything more an 1000 has only marginal benefit.

When diagnosed with T2 my HbA1C was 99 (11%) and three months later it was 59 (7.5%), so it look like 1% reduction from Metformin and a further 2.5% from diet change. I am not a big fan of Metformin because of its gastric side effects and I was getting broken sleep patterns from having to get up in the night to go to the bathroom. A 1% reduction in HbA1C is worth having as it is associated with a significant drop in the likelihood of severe diabetic complications. However, if you get your blood sugars under control through diet the need to take medication decreases and many people here have got their blood sugars down to non diabetic levels and have come off all medication.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only ever had really bad brain fog was for 5-6 years pre diabetes diagnosis, and it disappeared quickly after I started eating a lower carb diet. I've been on 2x500mg slow release metformin for three years (a bit higher originally - 2000mg standard) and the only times now i generally feel a bit muddle headed in anyway is if I'm tired stressed, ill,...

But I am concerned about that report as my maternal grandmother and aunt had Parkinsons and my same aunt and my mum also ended up with senile dementia, though both were in their latish 80s when this occurred. And that could be me too in the next 10 years - metformin or no metformin....

Eobbity

Reactions: zand

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I firmly believe that the place for drugs is where diet has proved insufficient and not before. It seems to me that far too mAny people are given metformin the first day of diagnosis and even if the diet works they will always think metformin is essential when it might not have been .