has anyone been refused test strips for type 2

susanmanley

YES!!.
Told to do my best to control by diet [as early stages type2] but given no tools to do that with!!
It is a hidden killer.
'well you control your asthma very well'
YES I DO because if it is not controlled I CANNOT BREATH...a little different from controlling blood sugar levels.

Struggled then got my own at great expense but now under control [with low carb diet] so it was worth every penny. Helped the diet too as short of money [due to no benifits now] so cannot buy much food...especially as carbs are the cheap bits

RANT OVER

joanAA

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Extraneous noise (mobile phones in quiet carriages), tattoos especially on females. Increasing arthritis in hands.
I, too, was refused another meter, after mine was stolen after about a year. Funny, because I was given one when it was obvious that my blood glucose was not being controlled. However, I am going to purchase another, and wondered if anyone has had experience with the newer type, without individual test strips. As I am handing out hard cash, I would be grateful for any advice.

My DN says that I must not eat any cane sugar, as that is absorbed so much quicker than other types e.g. fructose, and I am absolutely frustrated at having to read the ingredients list on everything I purchase, which is always in such tiny type, and then having to write to manufacturers to discover what type of sugar they use!

Smash1980

I test my own levels 4 tines a day as they are way out of control and have been for about 1 year now..... I vary from 8.1 to 23.1 so yep a big difference. I was only allowed 1 box of 50 strips every 3 months but I have recently been allowed another box after 1month but I suppose that is due to the amount I now have to test..... I really wish they sorted my levels

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
All PCTs seem to be different but I am type II and get them on prescription although not as many as I would like. I have recently bought a new meter and to get control am testing 6 times a day at the moment so am getting through them at a rapid rate which I suspect will be too much for the GP to sustain but if I buy 100 per month that gives me 3 a day for £50 which I consider good value for the peace of mind it gives me to be honest.

I take the view that good control increases my chances of avoiding serious complications in the future and after 15 years of not really managing things properly now I get it so the cost represents good value to me.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Due to the 3rd time my meds have changed in very recent times the last doctor I spoke to had no problem issuing a repeat for 200 strips about 3 weeks after my previous prescription as she was concerned that I might go hypo and wanted me to be ok and even asked if I recognised hypo signs.

At last a doctor was concerned about me, and not saying there's no need for me to test, unlike other doctors have previously said.

Spoke to a friend who is type 1 and he has been told he is using to many strips. :(

Telson

On recent Desmond programme the nurse adviced asking for dia sticks for type 2 and they should be prescribed to get understanding of what foods effect blood glucose levels /nice guidelines .. So this is what I'll be saying to my gp next week

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Apologies if I have already written on this, but my GP and DN flat out say not to self test, the cost of strips prevents me from doing so, not sure if that counts as being refused, but a little difficult to ask when they tell me not to self test :(

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
To get control as opposed to letting the condition control you requires constant Pre and post meal testing in my humble opinion

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
If need be buy a meter and test strips are cheap on e bay I was not given a meter and I bought my own good job I did as up on the high 20s. I had mine about a year then den said do you have a meter I said yes well we will give you a new meter as we want everyone on same lancets and test strips.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Just been for my check up with my DN and had no resistance whatsoever to my request for my script to be adjusted to give me 200 test strips per calendar month.

The background was that I demonstrated with hard evidence of data of heart rate readings, blood pressure readings and BG readings that such regular monitoring is delivering sustainable weight loss, controlled diet and a significant drop in hBAc1 to more than justify the request.

The lesson is take control and reap the rewards in all respects.

Diagnosed type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
Hi Nannybee, welcome, I too am a newbie, and dont know where to turn.

I too have been refused - apparently i was told that test strips are only being given to those who are insulin dependent.

I have a small handful left but keeping them for an emergency.

The GP sent me a letter telling me this.

I also dont get much support from them either - I asked in December to see a dietician, I have just received letter last week to make an appointment - no slot til august. I feel GPs (whoever) are saying to us "just lose weight" there's nothing wrong with you.

Probably no diabetes either!!!!!!!! :?:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Neil Walters said:
To get control as opposed to letting the condition control you requires constant Pre and post meal testing in my humble opinion

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

Hi Neil, I was just wondering, do your BG readings vary that much that you need to constantly test before and after food ? I would have thought that as long as diet doesn't vary too much and once you've figured what foods cause you to "spike" then barring illness and exercise, your readings should be fairly predictable ? I'm not trying to criticise your regime, I just wondered if there were other reasons. I'm fairly new to this and am still learning optimum times to test etc. I have no problem getting strips and avg approx 5 tests a day. I have noticed recently that certain foods do cause me to spike as my nurse only really suggested testing prior to eating. For months I never bothered to test 2 hes after but I'm glad I've started now ! Got some scary readings. However, I just don't eat those foods anymore.
Thanks, Mo

K

Kat100

It's a no to tresting ffor me as well....there must be lots of t2s in the same position....taking metformin....learning about my diet....exercise is walking....
Teasing is hba1c
Weight loss with support of dietetien and from reading I have done myself to try and learn more...
Don't think I could have lost weight without my meds though...metformin has helped me with my diet....but I do feel a bit blank and stuck at times....what to eat etc because there is so much information....I don't do low carbs to a large extent yet but have learnt to reduce portions etc....you really are not alone out their even if it feels like it at times..... Wishing you all the best and hope ou get to test at some point k

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
mo1905 said:
Neil Walters said:

Hi Neil, I was just wondering, do your BG readings vary that much that you need to constantly test before and after food ? I would have thought that as long as diet doesn't vary too much and once you've figured what foods cause you to "spike" then barring illness and exercise, your readings should be fairly predictable ? I'm not trying to criticise your regime, I just wondered if there were other reasons. I'm fairly new to this and am still learning optimum times to test etc. I have no problem getting strips and avg approx 5 tests a day. I have noticed recently that certain foods do cause me to spike as my nurse only really suggested testing prior to eating. For months I never bothered to test 2 hes after but I'm glad I've started now ! Got some scary readings. However, I just don't eat those foods anymore.
Thanks, Mo

Yes I do find that it varies and little things can impact like how far I have walked between meetings at different points in the day relative to food. The testing regime allows me to eat to the meter so early or late depending on the reading.

There is no doubt though that the readings are getting tighter with less variance.

The confidence that control brings is not something I want to give up lightly so for now I will continue as I am because it is working better for me than it ever has done for 15 years.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BS can vary a lot during the day, first thing in the morning they vary between 4.4 and 5.9 :) . From then on then can vary a lot most days on be doing the same thing eat the same thing but if I delay the lunch time meal there can be a big difference in my BS through out the rest of the day.

Got caught out on Tues had the same things as I normally do, only thing different I had to delay my usual Tues activity by an hour and ended up with a hypo :( , nice treat the jelly babies :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Neil Walters said:
mo1905 said:
Neil Walters said:

Thanks, Mo

Yes I do find that it varies and little things can impact like how far I have walked between meetings at different points in the day relative to food. The testing regime allows me to eat to the meter so early or late depending on the reading.

There is no doubt though that the readings are getting tighter with less variance.

The confidence that control brings is not something I want to give up lightly so for now I will continue as I am because it is working better for me than it ever has done for 15 years.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Thanks Neil, that makes sense. Peace of mind is a huge thing !

sarahg0810

I recently received a free BG meter from a company but, when I took the details to my Drs surgery, I was refused test strips so I haven't started using it yet!! I've cut down my portions and try to control my calorie intake using My Fitness Pal app. I also exercise at least 6 hours a week!! I've lost just under a stone in the last five months and whenever I get my blood sugar randomly tested by the nurse at work it usually around 5.3 or similar!!! I don't feel like I'm diabetic at all!!!!! :0/

ER880

My HBA1C in Feb went up to 11% (97)from 9.6%. I was due an operation in april which was cancelled due to my sugars being too high so I bought test strips which took half my benefit money (as I'm off sick) and when I checked for 2wks it was considered slightly high but I had the op, the only other thing I changed was I tried a low carb diet of around 90g a day but not strict. my HBA1C came down on 30 may to 6.8% (51) - the dietician was completely shocked as to how quick it came down. so when I monitor with a diet change it comes down, diet alone it goes up!