Has anyone come off Metformin?

Esther1411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to ask all you type 2's out there if anyone has come off Metformin successfully? My Mother has been type 2 for around 4 years and takes Metformin - she often feels lethargic and generally out of sorts and I wondered if this is a side effect of the Metformin. The reason I ask is because my father-in-law was recently told he was T2 and needed Metformin and as I have learned a bit about diabetes having recently been diagnosed T1 myself, I suggested that he try to reduce his Bg levels himself with diet and exercise - which he has done and last Hb1ac 6.3 :clap: So NO PILLS :D

The thing is I am a bit annoyed that with similar bg levels and excess weight (around a stone over- ish maybe less) my Mum was not given the opportunity to sort this out without taking the drugs. Had I known then what I now know I would have suggested she try the same - why didn't the Doctors????

So does anyone know if you can stop taking the Metformin?? Any advice gratefully accepted

Thanks guys
Esther

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Esther1411 said:
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to ask all you type 2's out there if anyone has come off Metformin successfully? My Mother has been type 2 for around 4 years and takes Metformin - she often feels lethargic and generally out of sorts and I wondered if this is a side effect of the Metformin. The reason I ask is because my father-in-law was recently told he was T2 and needed Metformin and as I have learned a bit about diabetes having recently been diagnosed T1 myself, I suggested that he try to reduce his Bg levels himself with diet and exercise - which he has done and last Hb1ac 6.3 :clap: So NO PILLS :D

The thing is I am a bit annoyed that with similar bg levels and excess weight (around a stone over- ish maybe less) my Mum was not given the opportunity to sort this out without taking the drugs. Had I known then what I now know I would have suggested she try the same - why didn't the Doctors????

So does anyone know if you can stop taking the Metformin?? Any advice gratefully accepted

Thanks guys
Esther

Hi Esther

I have come off Metformin, it's been about 2 maybe 3 weeks now, lost count. For me it has made no difference to my BG levels, in fact I think it's a little better now. The major improvement though has been the dreaded bowels, I no longer have the horrible rushing to the toilet issue and all that comes with it, cramps, pain, toilet nastiness.

So for me it was a great move, my GP and DN do not know yet as it was a snap decision on my part. I was on 1 x 500mg a day though so not high. Depending on your dose and diet and other concerns maybe discuss it with your GP, it is after all up to you it's your body, so maybe you could try for a few days to test, but again inform GP and DN you are going to do this.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested any number of things during the first year after I was given a meter. I asked the nurse for her agreement to stop taking Metformin for three months to see what happened and she agreed.

I detected no difference in the numbers or in anything else. Within the three months I had to see the GP and she made pointed remarks about me not taking the metformin. She made it quite plain that she thought I should start to take it again but she did not give a good or any reason why I should.

In accordance with the agreement I started taking the tablets again and subsequently saw my nurse for the review. I told her that in my opinion the metformin did nothing. Nevertheless she was certain that I should continue to take the pills because of some unspecified future benefit that someone somewhere had proven.

I wondered whether they just signified compliance. i.e. if you don't take your metformin you must be a renegade like Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I don't know if you will be going against medical advice but I reckon anyone should be able to stop taking or reduce the amount of metformin without any danger that I could detect.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Now on week 4 having taken myself off of metformin, BG's not a jot of difference, can now drink red wine without the inevitable lengthy visits to the loo.

No point in telling the medics, they only get in a flap when you don't toe the NHS party line !

Keep a good look at the levels, and note any other changes, you will probably have an increased appetite.

Superchip

Grazer

I may have a slightly different view to others hers. I ASKED to go on metformin, despite having very well controlled BGs.
Metformin actually has very little effect on BGs (1 to 2 mmols MAX off peak levels on maximum dose) but gives good protection against possible future cardio issues. Apart from the tummy issues for some, which normally (but not always) go away on the slow release version, there are NO bad side effects. A very safe drug that's been around for years. So, as I don't get tummy probs, I take them. Esther - it's unlikely that it's the metformin that makes your mum lethargic and out of sorts (other than loo dashes on the normal stuff). More likely down to her BG levels or other medical conditions. Having said that, as the effect on BGs IS so little, no harm in trying without them, although beware the reverse placebo effect!! Personally, I'd want to stay on them, Remember, if she's only on Metformin, she IS virtually on diet only control!

desidiabulum

I wouldn't query Grazer's general emphasis on the positives of metformin, but alas no drugs are completely lacking in side-effects, and a number of studies have shown that long-term taking of metformin can in some people lead to vitamin B12 deficiency. General symptoms of B12 deficiency can include fatigue, listlessness, memory problems, confusion etc, so it's not entirely beyond the bounds of possibility that Esther's mother is experiencing these as a result of taking metformin (although these symptoms can of course be caused by any number of things). It might be worth your mother getting a full blood count to check.

Esther1411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Guys,

My mum is trying to see her GP today as she has recently changed her cholesterol prescription for the same reason as the new type have made her considerably worse. I have suggested that she takes all her medication with her to see if there are any beneficial changes that could be made. It is very possible that her symptoms are actually down to her fluctuating BG levels as she is not always strict with her food choices!! Will keep u updated if anything useful comes up.

Thanks again
Esther

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes..on it for two years. Started 500, went up to 750x2 but quickly changed to the slow release version as it didn't really suit me. (Stomach pains dizziness ect)

This was better.

My reading fell from 8.6 to 5.2 in the first six months... Due to diet and, I think, less stress.

I asked if could come off it and now I don't take any.

The diet.. As few carbs as I can manage, no sugar and only eat things which say on the back of the oacket/tins:

Carbs.. The 'Of which are sugars ' of less than 10.

I think Metformin has a plus.. It seems to keep my weight down. Whether or not it us because I feel sick and don't eat so much, I don't know. But certainly I'm hungrier since I came off it.

I think the best thing to do is to ask if your Mum can come off it.... But ask for a testing kit to monitor progress..say 'just for six months' to the doctor, and make sure she doesn't eat sugar, lots if carbs etc.in that time.

You can the monitor her so see if her BG is too high.and if not taking Metformin makes any difference to how she us feeling.

...It's nice that you care so much about your Mum to look into her health.

viji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
even i ws diagonised with diabetis last june only Dr prescribed metformin 250 and to take half a tablet. for past ten days i stopped taking and trying on diet only let me see. everyday walking and skipping dinner with light fruits and with green tea hope it can come to normal...

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Week 5 now off of the metformin, had an unusual high this a.m 8.8 so decided to test the met.
WOW ! I took 1000mg and 40 minutes later just made it to the loo ! Enough said.
By god we should have been putting this stuff into the german water supply, WW11 would have been over in an hour !
That's it, back to the vodka and soda for me.

Superchip

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Superchip said:
Week 5 now off of the metformin, had an unusual high this a.m 8.8 so decided to test the met.
WOW ! I took 1000mg and 40 minutes later just made it to the loo ! Enough said.
By god we should have been putting this stuff into the german water supply, WW11 would have been over in an hour !
That's it, back to the vodka and soda for me.

Superchip

Lol

viji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi

i want to completely come out of METFORMIN.. consuming 1/4th of 500 mg a day. kindly give ur views to come out of METFORMIN..
BYE

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came off metformin as I could not live with the side effects. I was on it for 3 months and in that time could not leave sight of a loo so did not like leaving the house due to the immediate reaction it sometimes caused. Now on Gulvus and no side effects it has changed my life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DCUK Forum mobile app