Has anyone ever had a fasting insulin test on the NHS?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a bit surprised I must admit..does it mean I'm in remission?
I seriously doubt it.. but after my current weight loss experiment I might try some nasty carbs just to see...

The thing I have found (since I discovered my improved tolerance for gluten free carbs) is that I am fine for a one-off. Even a two or a three-off. But if I eat that level of carbs (still under 100g carbs a day) for several days in a row, I start to see escalating Fasting readings, and higher short term spikes, and I begin feeling off colour again.

So for me, I could probably claim 'reversal' based on HbA1c and I would probably do OK(ish) for an OGTT, but put me back on even moderate carbs for a week or two, and things would go very pearshaped. Ah well, it is a good thing to prevent complacency creeping in, isn't it? :D

Reactions: Bluetit1802

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hadn't really thought about repeats but maybe twice a year and try to coincide with HbA1c too.. also less blood letting that way!

Have you consider an OGTT Bulkbiker?

I did one recently, although I didn't carb up for it. I sort of did it on a whim. As y'do. Ahem.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The thing I have found (since I discovered my improved tolerance for gluten free carbs) is that I am fine for a one-off. Even a two or a three-off. But if I eat that level of carbs (still under 100g carbs a day) for several days in a row, I start to see escalating Fasting readings, and higher short term spikes, and I begin feeling off colour again.

So for me, I could probably claim 'reversal' based on HbA1c and I would probably do OK(ish) for an OGTT, but put me back on even moderate carbs for a week or two, and things would go very pearshaped. Ah well, it is a good thing to prevent complacency creeping in, isn't it? :D

That would be consistent with having lost most (maybe all) fat from the liver, but the pancreas still having issues with creating enough insulin, maybe underlining insulin resistance or the beta cells are not yet back to normal.

I think this is the stage I am at, but I have yet to see a good reason to have more than one meal with carbs in a week, but as we are on holiday in a weeks time.....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you consider an OGTT Bulkbiker?

I did one recently, although I didn't carb up for it. I sort of did it on a whim. As y'do. Ahem.

I guess that would be an interesting experiment and if it all went horribly I could just fast for a day or so to get bloods back down.. hmm what would you recommend for the glucose drink? I do have quite a large store of test strips at the moment so could handle 15 minute tests for a few hours.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess that would be an interesting experiment and if it all went horribly I could just fast for a day or so to get bloods back down.. hmm what would you recommend for the glucose drink? I do have quite a large store of test strips at the moment so could handle 15 minute tests for a few hours.

I used fully loaded Lucozade (although I actually had a little too much as I miscalculated the changes from the absolutely original Lucozade and the new original). It was officially vile, and I have declared I will never willingly do another. It was an interesting experiment, but I'm now feeling the missing link for me is the fasting insulin..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

There is a ready made glucose drink specifically made for the OGTT that surgeries are now being encouraged to use following the messing about with the glucose content in Lucozade.

http://penlanhealthcare.com/products-rapilose-ogtt-solution

The way to do it is to carb up for 3 days prior. Above 150g of carbs a day.
Overnight fast 12 hours, no food at all. Water is not allowed.
Test
Drink the stuff within 5 minutes
Sit quietly for 2 hours, no exercise, food, water, smoking, or anything at all.
Test at an hour and 2 hours. The time starts from when the drink is drunk!

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
OK the results are in.... trumpet blast...

View attachment 23639

Which I think is pretty normal.. I'm quite amazed...
This is an astonishing result and inspirational. It must be satisfying to know that one of the serious metabolic markers for diabetes control and other chronic conditions is under control, my hat is off. I remember reading somewhere that single digits are good, so your result has got to be optimal.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is an astonishing result and inspirational. It must be satisfying to know that one of the serious metabolic markers for diabetes control and other chronic conditions is under control, my hat is off. I remember reading somewhere that single digits are good, so your result has got to be optimal.
Yes I read that under 5 was very good.. so fingers crossed it wasn't a one off.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a ready made glucose drink specifically made for the OGTT that surgeries are now being encouraged to use following the messing about with the glucose content in Lucozade.

Overnight fast 12 hours, no food at all. Water is allowed.
Test
Test at an hour and 2 hours.
I'll call them up tomorrow and see if I can buy one..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll call them up tomorrow and see if I can buy one..

You can surf around - I found some for something just over £3. I have lost the link.

I have edited my first post slightly. Water is NOT allowed, and timing the tests starts from when you finish the drink.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Overnight fast 12 hours, no food at all. Water is not allowed.
Test
Test at an hour and 2 hours. The time starts from when the drink is drunk!
Ordered one.. will let you know results.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ordered one.. will let you know results.

I am considering doing one myself, but am really struggling to work out how on earth I can eat 150g carbs plus, and which carbs. I may just be tempted to have a homemade rice pudding one day, some Yorkies on my Sunday dinner with a good amount of gravy, beans on proper toast, or maybe toast and marmalade for breakfast. Mmmmmm decisions, decisions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am considering doing one myself, but am really struggling to work out how on earth I can eat 150g carbs plus, and which carbs. I may just be tempted to have a homemade rice pudding one day, some Yorkies on my Sunday dinner with a good amount of gravy, beans on proper toast, or maybe toast and marmalade for breakfast. Mmmmmm decisions, decisions.
I'm not going to carb up.. far too unappealing.. just try to do the OGTT cold turkey.