Type 1 Has Anyone Found A Mini-fridge That Is Suitable For Storing Insulin??

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Previously my mam and I had bought a mini fridge in Argos, and when we got home and read the instructions, t said that it is not suitable for the storage of insulin... So I am wondering if there is one out there, that isn't too expensive... as I am thinking I might need one for uni which is starting in September, as I will be sharing a fridge with maybe 6 other people, so I don't want to have to worry about anything happening to my stuff :/... I live in Ireland so I may not have the same shops and stuff as you...

Thank you for any help given, as all will be appreciated

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Hannahdunning96 Have you spoken to the uni? I understand that on occasion a fridge in your room can be organised if necessary. This might depend on your circumstances and the uni, of course, but it's worth asking.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Previously my mam and I had bought a mini fridge in Argos, and when we got home and read the instructions, t said that it is not suitable for the storage of insulin

Just had a look on line and can see the reason why, the mini fridges work to a temp between 5-18C as where unused insulin should be stored between 2-8 degrees C.

Take on board @azure advice which is good.

Sam Carter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Previously my mam and I had bought a mini fridge in Argos, and when we got home and read the instructions, t said that it is not suitable for the storage of insulin... So I am wondering if there is one out there, that isn't too expensive... as I am thinking I might need one for uni which is starting in September, as I will be sharing a fridge with maybe 6 other people, so I don't want to have to worry about anything happening to my stuff :/... I live in Ireland so I may not have the same shops and stuff as you...

Thank you for any help given, as all will be appreciated

I'd use the fridge that you've bought. We now live in a world of red tape and legal disclaimers. If it's fridge temperature, I'd use it as a fridge. Obviously, you don't want insulin near a freezer compartment (if it has one).

Legal disclaimer: I am not a qualified refrigeration engineer. Any advice given is my personal opinion only, and should not be used as an alternative to professional guidance from a refrigeration expert or medical practitioner. The above information is provided 'as is', without any representations or warranties, express or implied

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's not worth the risk @Sam Carter Many of the mini fridges are really aimed at storing cold drinks rather than life-preserving medication. Hence the warning that came with the fridge.

Sam Carter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not worth the risk @Sam Carter Many of the mini fridges are really aimed at storing cold drinks rather than life-preserving medication. Hence the warning that came with the fridge.
Yeah, I wouldn't take a risk. If it's fridge temperature (around 4 degrees C), I'd use it.

Who's selling a fridge that operates at 18 degrees C? That's a summer's day!!! :eek:)

A

asparagusp

There are of course little cooling travel pouches for insulin but that;s for insulin that is being used. You think that someone would design an independent small free standing unit specifically for storing unused insulin .....

Last edited:
A

asparagusp

Ah, I didn't read the details but they looked like fridges.

Maybe asking the pharmacist might help .....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are proper fridges that are 'tabletop' ones. I had one years ago in a rented flat. It was just like a normal fridge but smaller. It kept milk, cheese, meat, etc ok and just like a larger fridge.

You could ask in an electrical shop @Hannahdunning96

i'll post a link if I find one.

A

asparagusp

The link above says you can buy them in Argos. Still too big, needlessly. Someone should design on especially for insulin/medical supplies.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Buy a thermometer, stick it in the fridge, see what the temp is. If it spends a decent amount of time under 10 degrees I'd keep my insulin in it.

I would make sure I didn't stockpile loads of insulin in it and might consider chopping the expiry date on the label by half.

When insulin is stored only a few degrees above the optimum temperature it should only degrade very slowly.

Still, think I'll stick with Sam's disclaimer lol!

This is only what I would do, I'm not saying that other opinions are not equally valid!

Legal disclaimer: I am not a qualified refrigeration engineer. Any advice given is my personal opinion only, and should not be used as an alternative to professional guidance from a refrigeration expert or medical practitioner. The above information is provided 'as is', without any representations or warranties, express or implied

Thanks Sam!!