Has anyone got anything positive to say about Metformin?

kmwa

Dislikes
olives, stilton, salt, anti social behaviour, the wifes ex husband, oops, he's dead now.
I was on metformin for many years, then realised it was that that was giving me stomach problems. Went on slow release, that was no problem for for a few years or more. Then started having problems with that. I don't have any allergies or other problems other than diabetes. So, not for me.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I reluctantly went on Metformin 500mg in May despite my low carb/now krtodiet for about 18 years with no problems whatsoever and boy was I searching for them. My Dr told me the side effects are genetic and I knew my sister , father, cousins never had a problem. The Metformin worked brilliantly for me bcause I eat by my meter and instead of having to wait 6-7 hours for my BS to reduce to less than 6 it is now 4-5 hours which means I am back in the human race again re being able to out for lunch with others at lunch time rather than nearly dinner time!!! HOWEVER 2 weeks ago I nearly fainted after a large meal out in the evening (very low carb meal) and for the following week had abdominal pains, very slight nausea and not feeling hugry but better for eating. This week I still have the bloating but abdomen discomfort is no where near as bad . Dr suggested it may be a different brand of tablets I received or even a different batch number than previously after 3 months with no probems. I have decided to restart Probiotics which I have not taken for a while and hope that sorts the bloating out. I want to stick it out with the batch of Metformin I have now as it is still working well andhope my body gets used to it or the probiotics start to kick in.
BTW I read today that according to research , 25% less women die of covid when hospitalised if already on Metformin.

Rupertjohn

Hi,

Only a proportion of people find that Metformin causes problems. Of course, they are vocal about it, because it was unpleasant.
However, many (most?) people don't have that experience, and some find that taking the slow release version is fine, whereas the normal fast release version is problematic.

Worth trying it to see what your personal experience will be - assuming that you have tried all the other options (adjusting diet, changing exercise and lifestyle, self monitoring blood glucose, etc.)?